Chapter 22 - Not good enough

Ryan left an hour after breakfast. he helped me clear up all the plates and wash away the frying pan he had used to make the bacon. 

I got his clothes together from last night, that had been drying around the house and folded them for him. Whilst i had been doing this my dad had called me, letting me know he had to stay an extra day and would be back tomorrow.

I told him I didn't mind, which was half true.

Although Ryan was completely pissed last night, company was company, and i had felt less alone. On the other hand, my dad seemed to be going away more and more these days.

Maybe it had something to do with the fact i was older and he thought i could handle it. Or maybe that i was too distracted with all the work i had in my final year of school. Whatever it was, I wished he wouldn't think it, that he wouldn't leave me alone all the time to fend for myself.

'Thanks again' Ryan had said, when we stood at the door. I passed him the bag with his neatly folded clothes in and he took it from me. 'For being a good friend' 

He grinned at me, before turning away and getting into jakes car who had come to pick him up. 

It was now 4pm and i was sitting on my bed thinking about the night i had just experienced. My covers smelt strongly of alcohol and aftershave, a weird mix.

Ryan had text me when he got me home, letting me know he wouldn't be needing a lift to school in the morning. I wondered why, but didn't ask, simply texting him back that i would see him at school instead. 

I headed down to the fridge, looking for something to cook. There was fish, but i really wasn't feeling it for dinner at all. 

I shut the fridge and grabbed my car keys. Maybe i could find something that i could eat for my dinner at the supermarket. 

When i arrived, i pulled up the hood of my jumper in an attempt to cover my face. I had had the laziest day ever, and was still in my pyjama top underneath my hoodie. I also wore a pair of leggings with a few holes in and a very very old pair of Uggs. 

Basically, i looked like a tramp, and i was pretty sure security guard of the shop was staring me down as if i was going to grab a couple of cans of baked beans and make a run for it. 

I grabbed a basket, filling it with things i didn't need and really shouldn't eat. Chocolate, popcorn, even a cake mix. I didn't even like making cakes, but the store had run out of them so a mix was my best chance of eating some cake. 

Just as i turned the corner, i heard a high pitched giggle that was instantly familiar. Olivia was walking down the frozen food aisle with her arm linked around Nicholas'.

Before i had the chance to turn around, they both caught sight of me. Olivia instantly let go of Nicholas, taking a step away from him, as if i was going to call up Ryan right now and tell him what i was seeing. 

As if he hadn't already seen Nicholas' tongue down her throat. 

'Kara' Nicholas said. It was then I saw the massive bruise around his eye, and split lip. That one punch Ryan threw at him clearly did quite a bit of damage. 

'You should be ashamed of yourselves' i said glaring at them both and turning on my heels to walk away from them. I didn't even care at all in that moment what i looked like, or the food that was filling my basket. I just wanted to get away from both of them because they weren't nice people, and i wasn't going to surround myself with people like that.  

I felt a hand pull me back very gently. Olivia stood there, her eyebrows pulled up in concern. Nicholas was a few feet behind her. 

'Does he hate me?' she asked, her eyes were glossy as if she was about to cry.