Chapter 27 - Wingman

Chapter 27 -  Wingman

After probably the worst conversation I have ever had, my mother left. I saw her from my bedroom window walk down the pathway about an hour after I had walked up to my bedroom. 

My dad waved her off as she got into a taxi with her suitcase. 

When I heard him come up the stairs I quickly ran into my bathroom in an attempt to avoid him, but as soon as he walked into my room he called my name and i accidentally sneezed, giving away my not so secret hiding place. 

'Yes?' i said, walking out my bathroom slowly. 

'She's gone' he spoke

'Home? For good?' I asked

'Yes' he replied, nodding his head slowly at me.

I nodded back in reply, siting on my bed and pulling my laptop up onto my lap, clicking it couple of times until the screen lit up. 

'You know she wasn't done telling you everything she wanted to' He said, as he walked towards the door. 

'I think I heard enough for one night' I scoffed, 'what more was there?' 

I looked at him, slightly curious. 

'Like you said, you'll speak to your mother when you're ready'. He said, walking through the door and to his bedroom. 

I sighed, pulling my laptop up higher on my lap. I found myself reaching for my phone and before I even had the chance to process what I was doing, I was calling Ryan. 

'Kara?' He said, picking up after two rings

'Hey' I sighed down the phone, 'Whats up?' 

'I'm just finishing some work' I heard some shuffling of papers in the background. 'But i can talk. What happened?' 

'A lot' I answered simply

'Do you want me to come over?' I heard some keys jingle down the phone, and I knew he had already gone to pick up his car keys and head out the door. 

'No!' I almost yelled down the phone. 'No, I sort of want to be by myself' I said quieter. 

'Yea, i get you' I heard the sound of keys thrown back onto a table. 'Did you sort things out? Did she explain things to you?' 

'She explained mostly everything I wanted to know' I told him, lying back on my bed now. 'She gave me a lot of answers'

'So are you cool now?' He asked, hesitantly

'No, i basically told her to go home and not contact me' 

He groaned down the phone. 'Ugh, Kara why did you do that?' 

'Because i just found out my mother chose another man and drugs over her own daughter, i need some time to let it settle in before we have some mother-daughter bonding time'. 

The phone line went silent. It wasn't until Ryan cleared his throat about thirty seconds later that i knew he was still there. 

'Well that makes sense then' 

It was then that I burst out laughing. I don't know what it was but i just couldn't stop. 

'Er Kara, what are you doing?' Ryan said down the phone.

'It's just funny how shit turns out, you know?' I said, laughing some more. 

'Not exactly. Look Kara I can come round if you-'