Chapter Twenty-Seven - Christie.

*Edited*

Everly

I poured myself some water before sitting down at the common room table. Ever since I left Molly's last night I couldn't stop thinking about what Jay said to me. My brother walked up to me and I forced out a smile. He was supposed to be meeting Violet and Christie for breakfast this morning. 

"Hey, how was breakfast?"

He sat down next to me and sighed. 

"That bad huh?"

"Get this. Christie and Jim have jammed Violet into some huge public school in Logan Square where they now live."

I put my glass of water down and furrowed my eyebrows. 

"When did all this happen?"

Matt shrugged.

"It must've been recently, but Christie never said anything about it. I should know this stuff. I'm a terrible brother."

"By that standard I'm a terrible sister too because I had no idea."

Kelly walked in the common room and I gave him one look before putting my head down. 

"Let me guess. Bad clams?"

"Hung over."

I scoffed and shook my head as the bell went off. 

"Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61, structure fire at the 1400 block of Ogden and Washington Avenue."

I jogged over to the ambulance and jumped inside and we made our way to the fire scene. 

"Herrmann, you got a victim on the fifth floor balcony, north side. Can you get to him?"

I pulled open the back door to the ambo and looked up at the building. 

"That's a negative. Hallway's obstructed. We can't get past the middle."

"Casey, you two good on the roof? I got to move this aerial."

"Copy that. We're good."

I watched as Cruz moved the aerial to get the victim on the balcony. I pulled out the stretcher and waited. 

"Squad 3, Truck 81, Report."

"Fifth floor is clear. We're coming out."

"North end of the building is flashing over, Chief. We got to pull back."

"Copy that."

Chief turned around to face me.

"Where's Casey?"

"He's venting the roof."

Chief gave me a questioning look and I shrugged.

"Casey! I want you off that roof, now!"

"Copy that, Chief."

"Cruz, get that aerial back up there, now."

"Copy, Chief."

"Can somebody please tell me why our Truck Lieutenant is venting the roof?"

Everybody standing around shook their heads. Squad got the victims out and we drove them to the hospital and then drove back to the firehouse. I went to sit in the common room. 

"Watch out, boys. Severide's looking for drinking buddies for tomorrow night."

I shook my head.