Chapter Fourteen - Tara Little.

*Edited*

Everly

I hung up the phone and swallowed the lump in my throat. I ran my hand through my hair and  took a deep breath before walking over to the common room where pretty much everybody was.

"Bad news guys. Remember that kid from last shift? Jumped in the laundry chute?"

Everybody turned towards me and nodded.

"Yeah."

I looked over at Kelly who was standing at the back of the room and swallowed the lump in my throat.

"I just got off the phone with Chicago Med. He didn't make it."

I put my head down and Kelly walked over and wrapped his arms around me as the room fell silent. Herrmann got up from the table and held up the newspaper he was reading  which had a picture of the kid in it.

"He came here, this kid. He was here on a class field trip. He told his mom he wanted to be a fireman when he got home."

"Wow, I recognize him. It was my first day. You guys had me give the tour."

I turned my head  and laid it on Kelly's chest as I looked over at Peter.

"I remember that."

"Funeral's on Friday."

We all nodded and the room fell silent again. Kelly grabbed onto my hand and he lead me to his quarters. I sat down on his bed and pulled my legs up to my body as Kelly closed the door  and pulled down the blind. After that, Kelly sat down in his chair and wheeled over to me. He put his hands on either side of my face and brought his thumb up to dry my tears.

"You did everything you could Ev."

"He's a kid. He didn't deserve to die."

"I know. Life is unfair sometimes."

I nodded as Kelly kissed my forehead. 

"I better go do inventory with Shay."

Kelly nodded. 

"I'm here. Always."

I smiled as I leaned over and kissed him. 

"I know."

I pushed myself up off the bed and walked out to the apparatus floor. 

"Casey, where's Shay?"

I quickly turned around to face Chief. I quickly looked around the floor, but I didn't see her anywhere. 

"Uh, I'm not sure."

Chief nodded. 

"It's okay. This is Tara Little. She's a candidate. She's gonna be riding along with you guys for the next few shifts for evaluation. This is Everly Casey, Paramedic in charge of ambulance 61."

I extended my hand and she shook it as she smiled. 

"It's so nice to meet you. I've heard so much about you."

I chuckled as I dropped my hand to my side. 

"Oh, don't pay any attention to what these guys have to say."

She chuckled. 

"Come on. I was just about to do inventory."

"Thanks Casey."

I nodded towards Chief as Tara followed me over to the ambulance. 

"It's really none of my business, but you and lieutenant Casey are married?"