16

Lia

Everest glances down at my hand on top of his. The skin is rough and calloused showing signs of hard labor. He doesn't meet my eyes but a soft smile appears on his lips.

"How did you even know I was there?" I ask him and stretch my arms overhead.

He abruptly stands up and flies across the room, almost knocking down a table on the way. He stands by the medical tools and pretends to be looking for something.

"I was over there anyway." He waves me off.

I shrug and look down at my lap. My cheeks turn bright red once again as I stare down at my hardened nipples pushing against the thin fabric of the hospital gown. As if sensing my embarrassment from across the room he speaks up.

"Corin, the maid changed you. She had to put the bandages on anyways. Your brassiere was soaked in blood. Your dress is ruined too, rips down the side and claw marks down the middle." He explains and I cross my arms over my chest.

"Oh," I mumble awkwardly. That wasn't so great to hear. He talks of my undergarments like second nature. Was I wrong for feeling that heat between my legs again? Unbeknownst to him, the power he held over me was starting to get frustrating at this point.

"I'll get you some new clothes before we leave." He says flying across the room to a counter with cabinets. He rips apart a piece of raw meat and plops it onto a plate before walking over to me.

"We?" I question and sit up straighter. "What do you mean we?"

"We, as in you and I. I'll be accompanying you back home with your father. It's not safe for you to be alone after what just happened." He says it wasn't a big deal.

Well, it wasn't a big deal- but for some reason, him coming home with me felt like a big deal.

"Why can't someone else take me back?" I blurt out and immediately feel bad as he is slightly offended.

"Would you want another beast knowing where your home is? Where you and your father live? Alone for that matter, did you already forget that one of my kind attacked you?" He says angrily. I look away from him and stare out the window at the busy roads. He has a point.

I decided I would watch the village as he ate his food. I stare at all the beasts flying around and kids still playing without a care in the world. I envied it.

"Eat." He commands and sets the plate on my lap. I sit there confused for a few seconds thinking he made the food for himself.

"You need to eat and gain some of your strength back." He explains as if talking to a small child since I continued to stare at the plate, not moving even in the slightest.

I gasp and stare down at the muscle of meat, it twitches. Blood oozes from the ends and spills onto the plate as if it was just freshly butchered.

I frown. "I-I can't eat this," I say pushing away the plate and feeling bad for my pickiness.

Everest stares at me with some kind of annoyance before speaking up. "Why not?" He says in a deep voice as if daring me to truly answer.

"I will get sick... I'm a human I can't eat raw meat." I say and his annoyance from before disappears when I look up at him. He looks almost guilty as he takes the plate away.

"Oh, I knew that." He mumbles and turns away. I catch his cheeks turning slightly red with embarrassment but as quickly as it showed it was gone. I try to keep the smile off my lips as he stumbles around the hospital room, leaving cabinets open and dropping things as he looks for something I can eat.