2

Everest

I swung my feet back and forth- rested my head on my palm whilst sitting at the long dinner table. My father at the head and my mother at the other end, talking animatedly to friends and family who attended. I sighed.

Our dining room is huge. Full of my happy family members because tonight was the feast. My most favorite time all year, piles of cooked fish and various meats would come out on glowing platters and I was allowed to eat as much as I wanted.

Yet, I didn't feel an ounce of excitement.

I loved these holidays and get-togethers. But tonight I dreaded every second. Tonight my father would announce I became of age to join the hunt. All the other kids who just turned nine years old will join tonight too! But as much as I wanted to follow in my father's footsteps, and take over as the leader one day, I was nervous because I didn't know what was to come with my very first task; the hunt.

Staring at my empty plate, the elders and youth laughed and talked on this holiday.

A drop of hot wax suddenly coated my napkin. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked up only to see my best friend, Rutner, hanging from the chandelier.

He was swinging on the ceiling light. The candle's flame jumping around and threatening to burn out and leave us in darkness with every heavy flap of his black wings. What was he up to? Just as I was about to fly up and sit beside him, A chair next to me gets pulled out. A small blonde head popped up beside me.

"Hi, Everest. Are you excited for the hunt tonight?" The small voice of Rutners little sister, Ruth piped up.

"Of course I am Ruth. This is the first time I've become of age." I lie just as a loud thud rattles my plate.

I stare at Rutners shoes on the table as he looks down at us.

"Ruth you took my spot." He growls out at his little sister.

"Did not! You were up there so technically this seat was open!" She screeches and I feel a sudden looming shadow over my head.

"Rutner. Ruth. Don't start. Now, go back to your actual seats we are about to eat." Their mother scolds and even her threat leaves a chill of fear over my skin. Mommies can be scary.

Rutners face goes pale before he flies away and Ruth slips out of her once claimed spot. Leaving me alone.

I sigh again and look back down at my empty plate. I play with my fork and wait for this to be over.

The chime of a bell is heard and the large room full of beasts slowly silences.

I look up to see my happy father, holding mother's waist, tight, but lovingly.

"Attention, my family! Tonight is the night we celebrate, my only son, Everest has become of age to come out and join the annual hunt!" He announces and the direct attention to me makes my cheeks heat in red hot embarrassment.

Cheers and applause erupt around us. I shrink back into my seat, my black wings curling around my shoulders.

"But before we get to tonight's activities... We feast!" His usually commanding voice booms out in a happy and jolly way. He holds his wine glass in the air as a toast and kisses his mother's cheek. The kitchen doors burst open, men and women walk out holding hot steaming trays of tonight's dinner. They make their way around the room topping off plates with hot piles of meat.

My previous anxiety comes back as I look across the table at Rutner whose feet are propped up on the table. His muddy boots on display. I wanted to sit like him because that looked cool but I was forbidden to step out of line. That's what momma calls bad manners for the future king.

Ruth sat next to him in her assigned seat with her hands clasped together. A wide smile and unruly blonde curls falling over her eyes.

"Rutner!" I hiss out in a loud whisper.

I watch my friend's eyes squint before he looks around. Thinking quickly I take my napkin and crumple it up. I swing my arm back and throw it across the table. It hits his forehead and he jumps.

He meets my eyes with a fit of anger but the annoyance dissolves and a smile is quick to puff his cheeks. He waves.

I point at the table before sinking lower in my seat and crawling under.

I tucked my knees to my chest and eased my wings back to hide. It was dark under here, I assumed no one noticed because laughter and conversations kept going.

I watched Rutner shimmy his way under the table and to me. Crawling over the other's feet trying his hardest not to touch them as he got closer.

"Everest, why are we under the table?" He asks tucking his knees into his chest to sit down just like I did.

"I'm just worried," I whisper.

"Me too, I loosened the screws on my neighbor Diana's chair because I was mad at her. She just switched spots with our teacher Mr. Jogh-" He starts but I stop him before he says more.

"That's not what I'm talking about." I groan and hold my head in frustration. Rutner raises an eyebrow confused.

"I'm worried about the hunt," I admit softly.

"You know Everest, your first hunt is pretty exciting. Considering I'm a year older than you and therefore better than you- smarter, funnier, cooler, stronger, more talented, handsome- Look the list goes on... What was I talking about?" He cockily whispers to me wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

"The hunt." I remind him and his eyes light up.

"Oh yeah! I was scared at first too but as soon as my fangs latched onto that animal flesh I felt alive! It's was an adrenaline rush! It's what we were born to do. It just feels natural. And you're lucky enough if you catch a human. Doesn't that sound exciting?" He announces and I nod trusting him.

"I'll be there?" He assures me with a smile and I smile back.

"Thanks, R-" I go to say but a loud yelp is heard. Still, under the table, we look down the small dark alleyway full of shoes and legs. Far down I see our teacher Mr. Joghstom on the floor, his broken chair around him. Surely the doing of Rutner and his pranks.

My eyes widen as Rutner who still managed to be my friend, slaps a hand over his mouth. He shakes in a fit of laughter and I can't help but join in.

Poor Mr. Joghstom.