21

Lia

He catches on and gives me a mean look. "You wouldn't dare-"

Before he can finish his sentence I smear the mud across his face and down his chest.

I take off running again and can't help but laugh from the look on his face.

He's left standing there shocked as I move my legs faster and faster to reach the creek before him.

I shove vines out of the way as I finally make it to the creek. I hold my laugh down as an idea pops into my head.

I giggle and run behind a huge rock. I hide behind it and watch, waiting for his reaction when he sees I'm not there.

I cover my mouth to muffle another giggle as I hear distant rustling.

Suddenly he emerges from the draped vines I came in from.

The mud dripping off him almost breaks me into laughter on the spot but it comes to halt when I watch his smile fade. He looks around and soon he looks very worried.

He looks extremely panicked. I watch him look around again before he stares at the creek with angst.

I stand up and go to walk over him but before I could get far he's running toward the creek.

I continue to watch as he dives in. He's under for a few seconds before he comes back up making the calm water ripple crazily. Splashing water all around him he comes back up looks around before diving back under.

I run-up to the edge of the water worried about him. Did he think I drowned?

His head pops up again his whole body soaked. His back was to me as he yelled out my name. "Lia!" His voice boomed full of worry. The fun and playful mood is swiftly gone. Was he really that concerned for me?

"Everest!" I yell feeling my heartache for him. "I'm right here!" I wave my arms around and at the sound of my voice, his wings rise. He turns around quickly and starts to run out of the water.

I watch him with anxious eyes. The water dripping down his skin and sparkling under the sun, his wings hanging low, beyond soaked. His dark curly hair matted down against his head as water droplets fall. His clothes cling to his skin, The smeared mud on his face now washed away.

"You scared me." He announces loudly and I can't help but shrink away from the sound of his yelling voice.

"I was just playing around," I whisper and his glowing angry eyes meet mine.

"I thought you drowned! Or worse!" He yells and I feel tears of frustration in my eyes.

"I thought we were having fun?" I question with an embarrassing squeak to my tone.

He falls silent for a few seconds when he notices my sad expression. He's breathing heavily and water continues to trickle off him and absorb into the ground. A very awkward tension in the air.

"I'm sorry." He huffs out still as angry. I refuse to speak. I just continue to look at him.

"Why do you act this way?" I speak up, realizing I've seen this possessiveness from him before.

"I..." his voice was a mere whisper. I stand my ground, waiting for an answer.

"I panicked as soon as I couldn't find you, I don't want to lose you." He huffs out quickly. My heart thuds against my chest with this tangible information.

"It's going to be hard to leave when you drop my father and me off at home Everest. I don't plan on ever going back to the village. When this is over" I say motioning between our two bodies and feeling suddenly angry with this situation. "We're never going to see each other again." I didn't know how to feel.