29

Lia

I wake to the sun on my face. Hot and blinding. Everest is the first thing on my mind.

Was last night a dream?

I sit up and rub my eyes, adjusting to the light. I slept in after being up so long. The first sign that last night was real. The second sign is all of my things on the floor. Everest's wings knocked over everything.

My heart rate speeds up as everything comes back to me. My fingers brush my lips and I let out a sigh.

Pulling my knees to my chest I can't help the small squeal that leaves my lips.

Everest kissed me.

I'm so overly giddy. I can't believe I got my first kiss. I truly believed I never would. I heard some very brief and short stories from the books father brought from the village, but it never felt like enough. Everest could show me.

I feel flutters in my lower belly when I think of him. He is the first thing on my mind when I wake up and the last when I close my eyes after dark.

With my sheets tossed to the side, I hop out of bed. I pat my hair down over my shoulders and race into my father's room.

I push open the door and his room is brightly lit by the sun. Books are stacked on the floor and a few water pales. I retrieved these things only days prior.

He is slumped on his side still sound asleep. Snores leave his mouth loudly. A rattle in his chest makes me worry but I need to come to terms with his age now. I touch his sleeping arm and it's ice cold. I must remember to bring more blankets up to his room.

Heaving and hauling the empty water pale onto my shoulder I take my time going down the stairs. I grab some books from the pile to replace them so father stays entertained.

Setting the books down by my feet once reaching the kitchen, I start a fire under the escape and wait for it to burn brighter as I go to fetch more water. I need to find a way to ask my father if I have permission to go to the festival. It was a long shot but I promised Everest. Besides, my father likes when I'm with him, he says I am safe.

I step over a few rocks as I near the creek. I fill the pale to the brim and my shoulders ache by the time I reach my front door. My grip loosens from the ache in my wrists, and the water splashes onto my legs and faintly soaks my dress.

Everest wouldn't have that happen. He is so strong. My cheeks blush thinking of his arms. Especially his hands. They were large and could practically swallow my whole face if held against them. He had thick, muscled thighs and the constant thought of what lies between them was only left to the imagination. I'm sure it met up with the other standards of his body. Large and muscly.

I push on the door to the kitchen and It opens with a noisy creek. The smell of burning wafts in the air and I immediately panic while Racing to the fire I started earlier.

I can't stop coughing as smoke enters my lungs and I quickly swat it away from my head. With a bend to my knees, I kneel and pull the book away from the fire.

Of course, I clumsily left it there like a fool. Everest has been captivating my mind completely. I've become reckless! Focusing is a priority now.