32

Lia

It was completely dark and the heat of Everest's body was radiating off him. His scent filled my nose and I held my breath so I wouldn't splutter out some random words that would later keep me up all night.

"What's going on Everest? What happened?" I say into the blackness as I feel him approach me.

He places his hand on my waist before slowly trailing it down to my hip. I'm hit with a shiver that runs down my spine and I hold in my breath. My palms started to sweat as I held my hands in tight fists at my sides.

I remember Rutner's words. "Calm him down".

I slowly place both my hands on his chest and I can feel it rise and fall under my fingertips. He relaxes completely and lets out a sigh. We were in complete darkness but I could tell his beastly instincts had simmered. Why did it happen in the first place?

Everest takes a step away from me and it feels cold as he walks to somewhere in the room. Only a few seconds pass by before the room is filled with a soft golden light. As my eyes adjust to the light I can tell he has lit a candle and that we are in a bathroom.

The bathroom has a large wooden washtub in the corner of the room and a dark gold basin on the other full of soapy water. Soft-looking clothes are folded on racks and the candles flicker in an irregular pattern.

My attention is drawn away from the expensive items when Everest pushes me towards a stool near the large and heavy door.

His hands push down on my shoulders and I find myself submitting completely, sitting on the very edge of the wooden stool. His thumbs just barely crossed over the hems of the low collar around my shoulders.

Everest slowly knees down until we are at eye level. His hands move down to the hem of my skirt and my eyes widen.

My mouth opens to protest but I couldn't, whatever he was going to do, I was thrilled.

He leisurely pulls the material up until it is all bunched at my mid-thigh and I'm too aware of how exposed I am to him right now.

He suddenly stands up and only then do I start to catch my breath again.

"Everest, what are you doing?" I whisper ever so softly as he starts rummaging around a cabinet aggressively.

My eyes are locked on his back and my mind races with what he's doing to do.

Everest looks at me over his shoulder before walking back to me and kneeling again. His beast has completely simmered and he answers my question without any more hesitation.

"You're hurt." He huffs out, his voice tense.

"I'm not hurt." I counter quickly and assure him so by pushing my skirt back down to my ankles and standing up.

It only lasts a few milliseconds before I'm pushed back down onto the stool. I let out a gasp as this time he yanks up my skirt roughly.

"Yes, you are hurt." He gestures to the bloody cut down my thigh, just ending slightly above my knee.

"How— how did that happen?" I mumble at a complete loss for words. I examine the scratch and my mouth drops open.