14

Everest

My legs shake as I will myself to stand up. The pain was burning, it was like a metal rod pulled out of the fire to pierce through my skin. The beast venom paralyzed my muscles, made them stiff.

"Everest, what's happening?" Ruth asks in a loud panic. Her and Rutner hold my arm and help me stand.

With shaking hands, I pull down the collar of my shirt and I hear multiple swears from Rutner and a shocked gasp from Ruth.

A beast's bite mark on my chest..?

My mind played images of her in pain. I feel my eyes start to glow. A roar rips out of my throat and I shove them off me. My wings spread wide behind my back and I feel myself shifting into my full form, the form only we beasts turn into when a loved one dies, or a loved one is hurt or missing. This only happened to me one other time. When my mother left us.

My veins harden and glow. My fists are clenched, claws digging into my skin. My eyes glow bright yellow and all I see is darkness as my sight shifts along with my body.

Someone bit her.

The thought ate me alive as I flew down the hall knocking everything in my path. Ignoring the voices of frightened maids as I pass them in the foyer. The shouts of Ruth and Rutner as they fly after me.

I hear a pleading scream from Corin as I rip the door off the hinges and throw it to the ground, guards, and maids huddling in fear, workers, and passersby fleeing from the scene in hopes they wouldn't indulge in my wrath. My sudden need to kill, whoever touched her. Hurt her.

I look around the hall I knew she was last in, she was not there but I can smell her scent from somewhere else as all my senses heightened.

I growl upon smelling human blood too. My body feels lights as my feet lift off the ground again. Pictures blurring past me at a frightening speed.

Her scent hits me strongly as I pass by a door. She's in there.

I throw open the door and it slams against the ground, my inhuman strength breaking it in half.

I see no one in sight, no one was nearby who could've hurt her. And whoever did hurt her knew they had to get away quick.

I fall to my knees in front of her. She lays frozen, lifeless. I feel my heart squeeze painfully. Blood pools around her and I knew she only had minutes to live, the venom is killing her quickly.

"Fuck!" My voice roars in the air as I rip my shirt off, and hold it against her bleeding wound.

Upon touching her sensitive skin, no doubt the venom made the pain more excruciating when I touch her.

"Everest? What the fuck is going on?" Rutner yells from behind me. I feel Ruth fall to my side as well.

"I'll get your father, Corin is on the way! Rutner help Everest!" Ruth commands and flies out of the room. Her blood soaks into my pants the air thick as my breathing becomes heavier.

I pull down the bloody collar of her shirt and stare at the deep bite mark. "Fucking christ Everest she's losing blood fast we need to get the venom out of her system," Rutner yells out quickly and holds up her head slightly.

"Help! We're in here, somebody help!" Rutner runs to the door screaming to get attention.

There was only one thing to do. I knew I had to do this to save her life.

"Rutner," I command, turning my head around I catch his glowing eyes. I press the cloth down against her ripped chest harder luckily still feeling some kind of pulse.

"We're losing time. I need to suck the venom out but you need to stop me. You're going to have to stop me I won't be able to stop... her taste." I call out pleadingly and lick my lips. Desperate. I needed her, my emotions changed too quickly but deep down I knew I couldn't let her die, no matter how much my feelings changed about her.

But as soon as I taste her blood... I'd rip her apart. I'd kill her but I knew I didn't have that much power in me. To live with the fact that I killed her.

I look back over at Rutner again taking in sharp breaths. He gives me a loyal nod.

I stare down at Lia, her eyes closed and wet cheeks, a bruise on her neck. "I'm sorry." I quickly whisper and move the hair away from her eyes.

I look down at the wound one last time before sinking my teeth into her neck. I suck in the venom and her blood.

A prickle of adrenaline makes my lips quiver against her soft skin. I moan out at the taste of her. I grip her jaw and drink more of the blood, the taste so sweet and delicious- so addictive I couldn't stop.

"Everest that's enough." Someone says but the words are blurring altogether. Slurring, as I drink her blood, shivers down my spine. The heavenly taste coated my tongue and dripped down my chin.

"Everest you're killing her!" Rutner yells but I can't seem to let go. I close my eyes as I'm being ripped off her.

I swallow the last sip and wipe my mouth. My heart beating rapidly and my body shaking.

I gather myself and find my way back to her. "Wake up." I hold her face in my hands.

"Wake up goddammit!" I yell as my heart hurts. I start to sweat as her soft skin turns paler. Her eyes were still closed.

I could feel everything flash before my eyes. I needed her to wake up.

I want her too much. I like her too much, there was this pull, this forbidden connection and as I looked down at her, laying in a pool of her blood I realized, From this day forward, I needed to dedicate my life to protecting her. Even if I told myself I didn't want to. Even if in reality these feelings would be gone by tomorrow; no way in fucking hell would she ever be alone again.

I listen to her take in a breath. My lips part and I watch her closely. Her head moves slightly and her eyes twitch, slowly open.

Those beautiful eyes meet mine. A lost fear and deep confusion swirled in the deep pine-colored eyes.

I feel her hand hold mine that's still resting on her cheek. She grips it tightly and looks around in fear.

"I've got you," I whisper against her cheek and her eyes slowly close again. I kiss away a stray tear and lean my forehead against hers. No matter how much anger I felt towards her there was no doubt Lia was the girl I've been looking for all these years because of how I felt around her.

A new pain started to form on my neck from the bite I had just given her. I could still feel her pain. I'll have to figure out what's going on later.

"Everest, they're going to take her to the castle's hospital," Ruth says running into the room with two guards beside her. "Her father and the king are waiting in her hospital room." She explains and grabs Rutner's arm yanking him out along with her.

The two guards walk up to us and bend down to lift her.

"I've got it," I growl out at them. How dare they try to touch her after this.

They submit and back away at my commands. I lift her into my arms and immediately she shrinks up and holds onto me.

She is so small. So fragile and I just let her go and get hurt like this.

Whoever did this, I will find.