34

Lia

Everest started to mumble some nonsense while looking into the polished golden mirror. I could only make out some of it as curses of his father's name, and then small whispers about if he looked bad in his clothes. He was all nervous now and I could tell from his sudden and frantic pacing. My heart was sad for him to know he was in this kind of situation.

"Everest it's okay to be nervous but it's nothing you can't handle." I felt that those were the right words. Walking up behind him, I reach up and place my hand on his right shoulder. If someone said that to me I'd definitely do an internal scoff. I'm not good with my expressions as it is, but I just wanted to make him feel better, his cold frown was getting to me already.

He turns around and runs his fingers through my tangly black hair, it was all ruffled after we...

His lips were velvety and quick as he kisses my cheek. The hand that was in my hair moves to my cheek and his thumb runs over my lips. He stares at them in a trance with his glowing yellow eyes.

Everest towers over me. His rough hands move to my head where he fixes some curly loose strands of my hair, putting them into place. He adjusts the twisted collar of my dress, He then crouches down to my hips and my face gets even pinker. Rearranging my skirt until it's nice and smooth again.

When he finally pulls away I feel less disheveled but still out of place. I'd have to swallow what little of my pride was left and move on. I need not care what others think but it was hard when some would comment on the way I looked while others cowered in fear. Especially since they used to stare at me like I was juicy raw meat over a crackling fireplace! Thinking it over it doesn't make sense.

"Thanks," I whisper and fall into his embrace. My cheek rests against his chest and his heartbeat reassured me I'm not alone.

I pull away slightly and button the opened parts of his shirt before smoothing out the wrinkles with my fingertips. I readjust his tie the best I can.

"You were right when you said I need to make an appearance." He says with glittering eyes full of mischief. Not sure what he's getting at so all I do is nod with confirmation.

"With my date." He adds on with a sultry smirk.

"What!" I gasp loudly before taking a step away from him. Everest frowns and gently grabs my wrist pulling me back closer than before. My hands fall to his torso.

Now I'm the one who is loud and frantic. "I-I barely look the part— my hair is ruffled and my dress is old, not to mention your status!" I shift around on my feet.

"But I think you look great." Everest frowns.

"I-I thank you—" My cheeks burn from a sudden heat. I shake my head to clear my thoughts.

"It's just... why are your people suddenly so scared of me Everest? Did your father say something?" His name was like silken honey on my tongue but I must not get distracted already.

I watch his back go ridged and he gives me a sheepish look before clearing his throat.

"I threaten their lives if they were to bother you that's all." He was straight to the point and didn't hesitate to tell me anything. I'm not sure if I was happy about that or not. I'm just glad he was honest.