27

Lia

I almost didn't think I heard him right at first and took a step backward with wide eyes.

May I kiss you?

The words just tumbled from his mouth. My heart hit my rib cage demanding to get out of my chest.

My silence seemed to scare Everest as he took a step back into my shelf again. Handmade books and treasures shook slightly.

"I'm sorry I shouldn't have asked you that." He says quickly.

I feel myself move forward to him, my floor creaking. His apology slowly left his lips and he breathed heavily.

My room was hot— or maybe I just was as I neared closer to the large and dangerous beast. But even as I grew nearer the flutter in my stomach never left. It intensified.

I was less than a foot from this beast I never seemed to get out of my head. I grab his shirt and hold it tightly in my fist and pull him close before feeling myself pause again. My heart aching for him.

"Please." I seem to whimper against his soft lips.

Both hands grab my jaw and my eyes flutter closed. Before I can say anything else his lips bear down on mine, heavy and powerful. I intake air through my nose and grab his shoulders tightly.

"Everest." I gasp softly as he pulls back slightly. My skin feels hot with this new bloom between my legs and deep in my stomach. I feel his tongue run over my lips. His strong arms encompass me tightly pulling my body flush against his and feeling the warmth that radiates off him. Every curve of his muscle is felt against my skin. we stumble over the clutter on my floor and fall onto my bed, his weight cracking the frame. I gasp into his mouth but we both don't seem to care, his hand snakes up to the back of my neck and Everest grabs a fist full of my hair. Pools of heat form between my thighs and his wet kiss apply more pressure.

This kiss was so sudden but nothing else was on my mind. Only him.

A foreign noise left my mouth and Everest's breath on my lips grew heavier. His skin grew hot against mine. His body was flat against mine pushing me into the bed as he lay atop me.

His lips move away from mine but he still lingers close. This beast could surely smell the arousal coming off me in waves.

His eyes glowed as if I'd never seen them before. Suddenly, he shut them tightly and held me closer.

"This is a dream, Lia. Tell me to wake up. You're just too... perfect." He whispered as his forehead fell against mine.

His large and calloused hand moved to my cheek and I couldn't stop the giggle that left my mouth from his words. I looked at him as he slowly opened his eyes again the glow was dimmed but there was a new fire there I'd never seen before. He looked content and radiant with a slight blush on his cheeks compared to when he showed up with tired eyes and a deep frown marred with worry.

"This isn't a dream." I laughed and his head fell onto my neck.

"Thank the gods." He mumbled against my skin and his words sent more butterflies down to my stomach.

The soft glow of my lantern candle illuminated his back. The only source of lighting in my room. His dark inky-colored wings were fully on display and I admired them. Everest was so different from me but I couldn't seem to stay away. He was a beast and I was a human, but I just felt so connected to him. No gods could ever change that.