23

Everest

I see Lia standing in her doorway. Arms by her side and with her usually messy black hair, She looked beautiful in my eyes.

"I didn't mean to- your door was open- I wanted to just see-" I say all too quickly, stammering like a small boy. I'm caught off guard by the sound of her laugh.

"It's okay." She gives me a soft smile.

She sits down on her bed and pats the spot next to her, motioning for me to sit.

I slowly sit on her bed, barely sinking into the material. I frown as it felt like sleeping on rocks. I knew they didn't have much stuff but I was always so sure my father provided them with the best things. This just proved he was often lying to me.

"You sleep here? It's like laying on the ground." I say aloud and she stares at me.

"I got used to it. My father's bed is the same way too." She shrugs. I worried for her comfort, she deserved a soft bed made with silk, like mine. I'll have to remember to bring her some new things- of much higher quality.

"My father's birthday is not for a couple of months but I was working on this for him," she stands up and walks over to a chest in the corner of the room. The latches click as she lifts it open. She pulls out soft bedding and walks back over to me.

"I was sewing this for him, so he can be more comfortable than he has been lately. I just hope he can make it until then, or even until my birthday. I can't imagine one without him." She says ever so sadly. Her eyes filled with tears, the sight shattering my heart whole.

I don't have the heart to tell her that he probably won't make it until then. "When's your birthday?"

"My birthday is not for a while, it's February 8th," She says while scooting closer to me on the bed, showing me that she does trust me. I make a mental note of her birth date in my mind so I wouldn't forget it. She was right. Her birthday wasn't for a while since it was late August. I'd have to go through the whole winter until her birthday came.

I have to refrain from putting an arm around her waist. Or pulling her close, sitting her on my lap so I'd never have to let her go or stop touching her.

"I used to love my birthdays. Father would go into your village and get me a square of chocolate." Lia says piping up. "Have you ever had chocolate?" She asks earnestly.

"Of course, I've had chocolate." I laugh at her shocked face. "If that's what you like I'd be more than happy to bring you endless amounts?" I smile down at her and her eyes sparkle with amazement.

She bounces on the bed and lays a hand on my chest and kisses my cheek all in one swift movement. "Thank you." She laughs and gives me a tight hug.

I freeze up with her touch on my skin and her lips on my cheek. But with her suddenly in my arms, a pang of sadness washes over me. My dark thoughts crept up and reminded me that I'd be leaving here any second now.

The thought of parting with her only caused me to wrap my arms around her small body faster. My rough hand finds her head and I pat her hair, feeling the soft strands. Overwhelmed with her smell I bury my head against her neck without hesitation.

She pulls away from the not-so-innocent hug we just shared and gives me a delicate smile, a bright red blush on her cheeks.

I spaced out as we sat in comfortable silence for a minute. I relished in her presence and the sparks left on my skin from her touch just seconds prior. I knew I needed to get off her bed and go home but I just felt so soothed when she was within my line of sight. Suddenly, her next question rang through my ears.