Chapter Eight: Conflict of Interest

Start from the beginning

This was followed by a few seconds of static before another voice spoke. "Agent Martin, this is Dr. White, the team is ready to discuss the results of your evaluation."

"Not now," the first man replied. "I'll be down in an hour or so."

More static, and then a woman. "Just got back from the chamber. Any word on the perimeter?"

"Secure, as of ten minutes ago. But we're below requirements. If we don't get more agents in—"

"You hear that?" Willow asked, turning the volume down. "They're compromised. Perfect timing."

Adam frowned. "Transfer out? What does that even mean?"

"Obviously, some of their staff had to leave."

"But why?"

Willow shrugged. "Does it matter?"

Adam sighed. "Even if they are understaffed for some reason, do you think we can get past the people who are there? They're agents!"

"I can't speak for the lowest sublevels," Willow admitted. "But if I connect these feeds to my tablet and loop their hallway footage, I can help us navigate the upper half, maybe more. It's worth taking a look around."

And worst-case scenario, you can set things on fire. It wasn't the nicest thought, but if it came down to it, Adam could always surround himself with flames to keep people from getting to him.

Of course, he also had Willow to worry about.

But Eric could be in there.

Adam made his decision. He gave the building's exterior one last look before turning to meet Willow's gaze. "Fine. Let's do it."

"Great," Willow said. She started walking. "Leave the jacket."

Adam glanced down and remembered he was wearing his red and black varsity jacket. Yeah, the Tyche Point Sidewinders logo might be a dead giveaway that he was a member of the high school football team, should they run into anyone. He shrugged off the jacket, tossed it into the car, and followed Willow to the front doors.

The fractured, vandalized lobby wasn't unexpected, but it was quite the sight. The graffiti alone was enough to make Adam and Willow pause. It was run-of-the-mill, for the most part, but there were a few notable exceptions.

The biggest was the massive pair of eyes taking up most of the north wall. They were filled in entirely with black paint that shimmered with a hint of iridescence in the sunlight. Text over the eyes spelled out 'it's coming,' but that was barely legible under the gold paint that had been used to scribble over it and add 'he's here' in larger text beneath the eyes.

"What weirdos did this?" Willow asked. "I thought it was just high schoolers coming here."

Adam headed for the open doorway on the other side of the lobby. "Doesn't matter. Let's go find my brother."

Willow darted in front of him. "I'll keep us out of trouble," she said, waving her tablet.

"Fine."

"And one last thing." Willow dug a hand into her backpack and pulled out two bandanas. She tossed a red one to Adam. "Rule one of breaking in: don't let them see your face." She tied her blue bandana around her face.

"You just have these ready to go?" Adam asked as he tied his. "Do you break into places a lot?"

"Are you ready or not?"

With a sigh, Adam nodded for Willow to lead the way. She dug a pair of headphones out of her pocket, plugged them into the tablet, and stuck one earbud in. She gestured for Adam to follow and started down the stairs.