Chapter Fifty-One: Plans

Sam and Eric climbed back into the van. While Sam drove, Eric explained the Newmans' offer.

Adam was the first to respond. "I'm in," he said. "If Mom's okay with it."

"I'll come, too," Raveena added. "I don't have anywhere else to go, anyway."

"I'm definitely in." Summer's voice was weak, but she managed a small smile as Sam's gaze flickered to her in the rear-view mirror.

"Uh, maybe a hospital, first?" Veronica suggested.

Summer waved a hand. "I'm fine."

"No, Veronica's right," Raveena said. "You might feel okay now, but sooner or later the damage I couldn't repair is going to catch up with you." Her gaze lowered to Summer's stomach. "Even when I healed myself after I got shot, it took weeks for me to fully recover. I'd have to be focused on healing you twenty-four-seven to do the same thing."

"We need to tell the Newmans what happened," Sam said. "Like they said, we're all targets now. A regular hospital might not be safe." He glanced at Veronica in the mirror. "Veronica, are you in?"

Veronica was quiet for a moment. "I mean, we have to somehow convince Mom and Dad."

"But if we can?" Sam pressed.

Veronica sighed. "I—I'll come too." After another long moment, she held up her phone. "Mom finally responded. She, Dad, and Simon are all okay."

Sam's shoulders sagged in relief, making him realize just how tense he'd been. He tightened and untightened his hands around the wheel. "Where are they?"

"By the road, somewhere up ahead. We should find them if we keep going."

They'd begun to spot cars and groups of people along the side of the road, but no one they recognized, yet.

"There were other kids in town with powers," Eric reminded the group. "Once we catch up to everyone else, we should try to find some. See if we can get them to come train with us."

"How are we supposed to do that without exposing our own abilities to thousands of people?" Veronica asked.

Raveena halfheartedly raised a hand. "I can do it," she said. "I'm not worried about people knowing I'm an altered."

"What are we even suggesting?" Veronica frowned. "Make an announcement to everyone we can find?"

Eric shrugged. "It would be better than nothing. Probably."

Sam was unsure about the idea at first, but as he mulled it over, he realized it might be a good idea to try getting more altered on their side. "We should at least warn them that Scorpion might try to come after them," he said. "Or SCI."

The cars parked along the side of the road were growing denser People milled about, and scattered police officers tried in vain to get everyone organized.

"This feels a bit above their pay grade," Eric commented as they passed a police car.

"I'm sure the government will step in soon enough," Sam muttered. He slowed the van and began scanning the crowd for familiar faces. "Anyone know where their family is, specifically?"

Eric glanced at Adam. Adam nodded and spoke. "Mom said she's parked across the street from that gas station at the next junction."

"Veronica?" Sam asked, his hands squeezing the wheel again.

"They're about half a mile past the Ackermans, it sounds like." Veronica looked to Summer. "I, uh, helped Summer text her family, and they said they could meet us by our parents."