Chapter Thirty-Four: Ready or Not

Sam and Veronica had generously offered to drive everyone to Delta Labs in their van. Well, their parents' van. And Sam had been the one to offer, to Veronica's dismay.

"Sam, they're going to ask questions," Veronica said as they walked up to the front door of their house. "And what if they say no?"

"They don't have anything going on," Sam replied. "It'll be fine." Probably. He opened the door and stepped inside.

"What are we even going to tell them?"

"Veronica? Sam?" Mom called from the living room.

"Oh, uh, hey!" Sam followed the sound of her voice. Veronica reluctantly trailed behind him.

Dad was home, too, sitting on the couch with Mom while a home renovation show played on TV. Sam vaguely remembered Dad mentioning something about having today off. Simon lay on the floor in front of them, coloring in a notebook.

"Did you say you wanted to tell us something, Veronica?" Mom asked.

Veronica froze. "Oh, uh, we wanted to know if we could borrow the van."

"Yeah," Sam added. "So that we could go to this school event—"

"—party," Veronica said at the same time.

Dad frowned. "Is it a school event or a party?"

"Yes," Veronica said.

"It's a school party," Sam added quickly. "Slash academic event."

"Yeah, there's going to be math games and stuff," Veronica said. "Like jeopardy. But with math. But also food."

"And, uh, cotton candy." Sam internally winced.

Mom didn't seem suspicious, thankfully, although she wasn't done asking questions. "Oh, so like a carnival?"

Simon perked up. "A carnival? Can I come?"

"Sorry, it's only for the kids who got, um, good grades," Sam told him.

"Well, what do you need the van for?" Mom asked. "Is something wrong with your car?"

"No, the car's fine," Sam told her. "We just told a few friends we might be able to give them a ride."

"Who all are you taking?"

Sam glanced at Veronica. "Uh, Eric Ackerman?"

"And his brother," Veronica added.

"Oh, right," Sam said. "And his brother's friend Willow."

"And Summer Lu."

"And, um, Raveena..." Sam hesitated. "Yeah. Raveena."

"Have we met any of these people?" Mom asked.

Sam exchanged an anxious look with Veronica. "Uh, well, not yet, but we've been hanging out with them the past couple of weeks," he said.

"Oh, they're those new friends of yours."

"Yeah. Those ones."

Mom glanced at Dad, who shrugged. "As long as you're home at a reasonable time," he said.

"Okay," Mom said. "Keep us updated. And let us know what time you'll be home."

"Great! Thanks!" Sam darted to the kitchen to grab the van keys. Veronica threw nervous glances toward the living room as she followed but didn't say a word as she and Sam walked back outside and climbed into the van.

Sam stuck the key in the ignition and realized his hand was shaking. He forced it to steady as he turned the key. "Did any of the others find Raveena around the school?" he asked as the engine started.