Chapter Forty-One: Tyche Point's Top Achiever

There were eight Scorpion choppers parked outside by the time Willow stepped out of the building. More soldiers, three per chopper, stood with their guns at the ready. And walking away from them, toward the building, were the Director and Claudia Montgomery. Two more soldiers followed behind.

Willow stepped back into the shadows of the lobby. She leaned against the wall next to the open doorway, every muscle in her body tense. Ready to run.

The first audible bit of dialogue she caught came from the Director. "And you're ready for this?" he asked. "The entire town's going to be in the blast radius."

"This is so much bigger than one stupid little town, James," Claudia replied.

"I completely agree. But you used to live here."

"So did you. It sounds like you're the one who's hesitating."

A moment of silence followed. Willow's eyes narrowed. Claudia and the Director—James, apparently—used to live in Tyche Point?

Claudia cleared her throat. By the sound of it, she and the Director had stopped right outside the front doors. "At any rate, I saw cars evacuating when we flew over. Was that your doing?"

"No," the Director replied. "Although I considered the idea. But Willow West actually coded the program and sent out the fake evacuation order."

Willow's heart quickened. Please don't walk in.

"Your new lab assistant?" Claudia asked. "How do you know we can trust her?"

"We'll see how this plays out."

"Fine. But she's your responsibility." Claudia sighed. "I'm going to wait in my chopper. I'll stick around as long as I can, but I'll be taking off at the first sight of SCI's forces."

Willow backed up toward the stairs, racking her brain. Her best bet was to pretend she just came out of the stairwell—

"Glad you're here." The Director said as he entered. The two soldiers accompanied him. "And for the record, I knew you were listening."

Willow frowned as he passed her. "Why didn't you tell Claudia?"

"She doesn't need to know everything."

Willow caught up to the Director at his right. "We got here first, and then—"

"I've been watching on cameras. We were able to access them once we got close. Now, you've been with a group that's decided to work against Scorpion."

Willow expected him to mention the fact she'd hidden her powers from him, but he apparently didn't care. Unless he'd already known. But how? Willow pushed the matter aside. She could deal with it later.

"I was just trying to get to the fragment," Willow assured him. "They were my best way in. And I did warn you they were coming early."

The Director nodded. "I figured as much. Of course, you're smart enough to know that I can't fully trust you quite yet, right?"

Willow wondered what kind of answer he was looking for. "I wouldn't, either. But I am going to get the fragment for Scorpion."

"Good."

Willow and the Director descended into the sublevels. As they walked, the Director drew his mask from the bag at his side and slid it into place beneath his dark goggles.

"I don't need to be worried about breathing down here, do I?" Willow asked.

"No, nothing to be concerned with," the Director told her. "Did you figure out where they're keeping the alterium?"