Chapter Sixteen: Magic Adventure Golf Land

Something was watching Sam. Stalking him.

In his dream, he was in full control of his powers, but it didn't seem to do any good against the shadowy figure that followed him around.

A hand grabbed his shoulder and shook him awake. Veronica's voice cut through the darkness. "Sam?"

Sam was on the couch, safe in his own home, but the paralyzing fear from his nightmare still clung to him. He sat up, eyes wide. "What?"

"You okay?" Veronica asked. "You've been out since we got home from school."

Sam rubbed his eyes. "Yeah, fine. I just had a bad dream."

"What happened?"

Sam tried to recall what he'd been so terrified of, but the dream was already fading. "I don't really remember."

Veronica straightened up. "Well, the others are ready to go whenever."

Right. It had been a few days since the meeting with the Newmans, and after a busy weekend, the group had finally found a time to train that would work for all six of them. Sam slid off the couch. "Great. Let's go."

"I already texted Mom and Dad and told them we're hanging out with friends," Veronica said as she followed Sam to the front door. "Which isn't a total lie, I guess."

"What makes you think they'd be against us training to defend ourselves?" Sam asked.

"I think they'd be more concerned about hanging out with a bunch of other kids like us. And I wouldn't blame them." Under her breath, she added, "We're practically asking for trouble."

They were already in trouble, but Sam didn't want to scare her any more than she already was.

"Where are you guys going?" Simon came down the stairs, taking them two at a time.

"Oh, uh, to hang out with our friends," Sam told their younger brother.

Simon's gaze darted around wildly. "Does it have to do with your superpowers?" he whispered.

"What makes you think that?" Veronica asked, resting a hand on her hip.

"You guys don't usually hang out with the same friends."

Sam exchanged a look with Veronica. "Smart kid," he muttered. To Simon, he said, "You know we keep our powers secret. To keep you and Mom and Dad safe."

"That's dumb," Simon said. "You could use them to protect us."

"You wouldn't need protecting if no one was after us," Veronica said, shooting Sam a pointed look. "Come on, we should get going. Simon, is all your homework done?"

"Uh..."

"I'll take that as a 'no.'"

"I was just taking a quick break!"

"Does this break involve video games?"

Simon's guilty expression answered for him.

"Homework first," Veronica said. "Then video games. We'll be back for dinner."

Sam opened the front door. "Did they decide on a place to meet?"

"We're gonna scope out that stretch of empty buildings on Orange Street."

Not a bad idea. That was as far from the arcade as you could get in Tyche Point. And pretty close to home.

Veronica continued. "Adam and Eric just left to pick up Willow and Summer. I told them we could walk to the intersection by the grocery store and meet them there," she said. "Is that okay?"