Chapter Thirty-Eight: The Artifact Chamber

The chamber held more people than Eric and the others had encountered in any other part of the building. Eight researchers in black lab coats were gathered around the tower of rock at the center of the room, while four agents stood by the door.

Summer dealt with the agents as soon as she entered, delivering an electric shock strong enough to throw them all to the ground in the same instant. The researchers turned nearly in unison at the commotion. Sam flung out his arm, and the four closest fell backward.

Eric held up his hands and ignited them both. "Clear out of the chamber," he ordered, mustering as much confidence in his voice as he could manage. "We don't want to hurt you."

"But we will," Summer quickly added. "I mean, if we have to."

One of the agents sat up and raised a gun, but Sam summoned it from their grasp into his hand. "You heard them."

"Everyone out," a different agent said as she climbed to her feet.

Another opened his mouth. "But what about—"

"I said out," the woman snapped. "And get Martin on the phone."

The agents and researchers hurried out of the chamber. Once the door had slammed shut behind them, Eric breathed a small sigh of relief and let the flames in his hands die out. While he caught his breath, his gaze moved to the center of the room, drifting up to the pyramid fragment.

Gold flecks in the dark metal caught the light. The sight was strangely mesmerizing, and Eric found himself momentarily distracted.

"They'll be back," Veronica warned, bringing Eric back to the present. "Or they're going to have an army waiting outside when we leave."

"Better move quick, then." Summer moved to stand next to Veronica. "Want to give it a try?"

Veronica nodded. Her eyes moved up to the fragment and narrowed in concentration.

Nothing happened.

Veronica sucked in a deep breath. "I don't know why it's not working." She looked to Sam. "Do you wanna try?"

"I'll give it a shot." Sam studied the fragment. After a moment, he frowned. "It's weird, I can sense the stone beneath it, but it's like my mind can't quite get a hold of the fragment—"

The chamber door swung open. Ten of Scorpion's soldiers poured into the room. As Eric and the others whirled around, five altered walked in. Led by Ash.

"Why are you here?" Summer demanded. A few electric sparks jumped from her fingertips and quickly flickered out on the chamber floor.

Seth moved to stand at Ash's left as he pointed to the fragment. "To get that."

"Seth, shut up." Ash lifted his chin. "We're here for the fragment."

"Wow, thanks," Seth muttered.

Summer flung out an arm. There was a terrible popping sound from the soldier on the far left, and a surge of sparks exploded from the cracks in its armor, followed by dark smoke. It collapsed to the ground.

"You're going to have to get through us," Summer said with far more confidence than she should have had. Eric couldn't stop his gaze from flickering from soldier to soldier. Could they handle this many? Even if the other altered weren't here, he doubted it.

"Summer!" Veronica's voice jumped in pitch. Her eyes widened. "There are four of us!"

"We can do this!"

"I very much disagree!"

Ash sighed. "Seth?"

Seth shot him a quizzical look. "What?"