Chapter Four: Tourists

The black cars Eric had seen driving around town didn't seem to be headed toward the arcade, but an abandoned building wouldn't be a bad place to hide out. Then again, going off secondhand information from an elementary schooler was probably not a great idea. Too bad it was the only lead he had.

Eric sat on the curb across the street from Star City, wondering why anyone might pick this place over the other empty buildings in the area. His head tipped back, and he found himself staring at the purple sky and the stars popping up one by one. His mind wandered. He'd come out here hoping he could spot the people Sam's brother had seen, but all he could think about now were Summer and Sam and the promise he'd made to train with them. The idea of trying to use his power again.

Last time he'd tried to control it, he'd almost burned the house down.

Adam had already decided to suppress it at that point, and after scaring their mother half to death, Eric tried to do the same. But it had a way of trying to fight its way out at the most inconvenient times. And attempting to hide it seemed to make things worse.

He had to figure it out eventually. That was the entire reason he'd suggested they practice. Hopefully, with other people counting on him, he'd be forced to learn how to keep his ability in check.

Voices drifted through the night air, pulling Eric from his thoughts.

"Keep it down, dumbass!"

"Who put you in charge?"

"You know damn well who."

Eric scanned the opposite side of the street. Two figures stood in the dark alley next to the arcade.

The second voice spoke again. "This is stupid," he said.

Another, taller boy—the owner of the first voice and apparent leader—replied. "Stop questioning orders."

A door at the side of the building swung open, and a third figure stepped out. "Yeah, this is gonna be fun!" the girl exclaimed. She turned and walked deeper into the alley, disappearing from Eric's view. The shorter boy went after her.

"I wouldn't use the word fun," the leader said before following.

Eric rose to his feet. There were people in the arcade, after all. And they were teenagers, probably all around his age. What was on the other side of that alley? Poppy Street?

The phone in his hoodie pocket buzzed. It was a text from Mom, asking Eric what time he'd be back from his walk. He glanced back at the empty alleyway.

About half an hour, I think, he typed out in reply. I'll let you know when I'm on my way.

He shoved the phone back into his pocket and broke into a run. At the nearest intersection, he turned and went down a block, which brought him to the corner of Poppy Street. He rested his hands on his knees and took a moment to catch his breath. They would definitely need to include running endurance in their training.

He scanned the street until he located the building behind the arcade. Eric moved toward it, still searching the area. Most of the places on this side were boarded up and dark, but across the road, the sidewalk was illuminated by the glow spilling from the windows of...

...the gas station.

Eric's gaze found the front door in time to watch the last of the three kids slip inside. He stepped into the street and jogged across the pavement. A car coming around the corner honked at him. He jumped, waved a hand in their general direction, and yelled, "Sorry!"

He hopped onto the sidewalk on the other side and raced past the gas pumps to the front doors. Out of breath, he yanked one open and stumbled inside.

Bright lights, soft music, and faint arguing greeted Eric. Other than the kids, and the disinterested cashier reading a book at the counter, the store was empty.