"thankful."

note: HAPPY THANKSGIVING (if you celebrate)!! sorry this was kind of short & cut off, i wrote this right after i finished eating thanksgiving dinner so i'm a bit tired hehe. and even if you don't celebrate thanksgiving, i hope you have an AMAZING and SPECTACULAR day!!

The cool air smelled of leaves and pumpkins as you rocked on an old rocking chair, the autumn breeze ruffling your hair as it swayed past. You could hear soft chatter in the house behind you, the voices trailing through the screen door.

    You sighed as you pulled the flannel you wore tighter against you, hating and loving the chill at the same time. Nobody was out on the streets today, you noticed. Everyone's probably with their families getting ready for Thanksgiving dinner.

    Your thoughts were broken when you heard the padding of feet and the door creak open.

    "Hey, why are you outside all alone?"

    Of course, you recognized the voice as your girlfriend immediately, a smile tugging at your lips as you turned your head. "Just...soaking it all in. The feeling of our first Thanksgiving as a make-shift family."

    A grin grew on Ellie's freckled-face as she sat in another chair beside you, tucking her feet underneath her. "I love it here. In Jackson, I mean."

    "Me too. No more looking over our shoulder, no more running out of food, no more worrying about you dying," You whispered the last part, peeling your eyes away from Ellie's.

    "Yeah," She sighed, leaning over and lacing your fingers together. Her hand was warm against yours. "Oh! And, I also came out here to tell you that dinner is being put on the table right now, so, we should probably head inside before they start eating without us."

    That made you jump to your feet almost immediately, tugging Ellie along with you as you swung open the front door and walked into the cozy house.

    As you both appeared in the dining room, Maria was just setting down the mashed potatoes, the smell of gravy filling your nose.

    "There you both are," Tommy exclaimed with a smile, beckoning you and Ellie to the empty seats across from him.

    You let go of Ellie's hand as you sat down across from Tommy, and Ellie across from Maria. As you were about to ask where Joel was, he sombered in with a dish that looked like sweet potatoes.

    The dining room was filled with the smell of spices, all of them making your mouth water. Joel set the orange food down and sat at the head of the table, the yellow light from outside seeming like a spotlight for your father-figure.

    As everyone got settled, scooting their chairs closer to the table and setting napkins in laps, you grinned at your family around you, grateful that you were able to celebrate this holiday in this messed up world.

    Ellie began to pile food onto her plate, and everyone copied her action, warm steam creeping into the air as she grabbed a roll. You hastily helped yourself to any and all food that could fit on your plate, though, of course, making sure others got some as well, and helping pass the dishes around the table.

    "How about," Ellie started, "we go around and say something that we're thankful for? I saw a movie where they did something like that."

    You looked over at Joel, nodding your head in hopes he'll agree with Ellie's suggestion. Much to yours and Ellie's delight, he agreed with a warm smile and started it off. "Let's see...I am thankful for the two girls that taught me how to be a father again."

    Your grin seemed to get bigger.

    "Oh! My turn!" Ellie exclaimed, her eyes bright. "I am very, very, very thankful for my girlfriend, y/n."

    Blushing a little, you shook your head, but welcomed her hand in yours when she reached for it under the table.

    "I guess I'll go next," Tommy said. "I am thankful for this wonderful meal and my darling wife. And, I guess, my older brother."

    "You guess?" Joel asked with raised brows.

    Tommy nodded. "Yes. I guess so."

    Before Joel could press further, Maria opened her mouth. "I am thankful for all of you in my life. For my husband, brother-in-law, and," a look at Ellie and I, "the girls I happily call part of my family."

    Ellie squeezed your hand under the table, urging you to say what you were thankful for on this day.

   "I am thankful for all of you. To be able to sit down and call you family," You said excitedly, leaning towards Ellie and brushing your lips against her cheek. "And I'm especially grateful for you, El."