"one wish."

wc : 0.4k
requested ? : yes

───── ➳ ─────

"uh, what about...if you could have one wish come true, what would you wish for?" ellie asked, her head tilting to the side as she looked at you.

peeling your eyes away from the sky, you met your girlfriend's stare. "that's a tough one. but, i think i would choose to be happy—to live a long life with natural death. i don't want my death to be a violent one."

nodding, ellie watched you, letting your answer hang in the air for a moment.

"what about you? what would you wish for?" you wondered aloud, rolling so that you lied on your stomach.

ellie's eyes returned to the blue sky above her, and you could tell she was in deep thought. you truly had no idea what she would wish for. the two of you had never talked about such things.

after a few seconds ticked by, ellie looked at you again. "i don't want to end up alone. i want to spend the rest of my life in this fucked-up world with you."

eyebrows furrowing, you sat up on the grass, facing the girl who had invited you to come cloud watching with her. she couldn't be serious, could she?

"that's your wish? to spend the rest of your life with me?" you asked, completely baffled by her answer.

ellie, on the other hand, assumed she had done something wrong, that her answer had been too direct. her cheeks flushed with color in embarrassment, and she focused on the sky in order to avoid eye contact with you. she crossed her arms behind her head before mumbling, "yeah. that's my wish."

a smile tugged at your lips, the simple words making your day, possibly even your whole year. you repositioned yourself even closer to her before laying back down. "i want to spend the rest of my life with you too."

ellie's eyes widened slightly, her head jerking in your direction. the shock didn't last for long after seeing how genuine you were. a smile of her own decorated her face as she reached out and tugged you even closer. she wrapped an arm around your shoulders and craned her neck, locking her lips with yours.

grinning, you brought your hand up to cup ellie's cheek, stroking the side of her face with your thumb. as you pulled back, finding an already-smiling ellie staring at you, the butterflies in your stomach fluttered even more than before.

"i love you," you couldn't help but say, your voice just above a whisper.

ellie's eyes glanced over your face, the look of awe evident as she stared at you. "i love you too."