Chapter 16

Chambre de Chasse

Arabelle pov

"Morning! Pancake?" 

I greeted the blonde, who enters the room with Hope. Camille still looks hesitant about my offer, probably because of last night. I put the plate down and sigh, "look, Camille, what happened yesterday.... I was very shame of myself and i understand that no matter how many times I'm trying to apologize, it still scares you." I pour myself a cup of tea and coffee for her, "Nik said you love coffee and i hope i made it right." I'm about to leave her and Hope to have their own breakfast when i hear my name called. "Perhaps, we can talk after breakfast?" offering a small smile at me. 

"After breakfast then."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Our goal here is to confront your subconscious. An element of my thesis is on suppression of past trauma and how it can manifest in a barren and often violent behaviour." 

That sound very familiar. 

Camille takes a seat on the single sofa while I'm on the other side, Livianna volunteers to be Hope's nanny and take the little troublemaker to the backyard to give us a space and moment. "You know, I believe it was 1897 when a dear friend of mine and Elijah-- Let's just call him the Godfather of modern psychoanalysis. Mentioned something similar to us over tea in a Viennese café," i smile sarcastically. 

That guy had a complex but at the same time is a brilliant mind. 

"Are you name-dropping Freud right now?" she giggles, i shrug with a smile. "Okay, here's something I know that even Freud didn't," i motion her to continue. "What it feels like when someone takes away your deepest, ugliest pain without your consent." My smile falls when i realize what she's talking about, "It is both a blessed relief and a complete violation. Sound familiar?" i looks at her, clearly not liking where this is going. "Good. Let's start with what you've referred to as "the tree," shall we?" 

"It's a representative. An image that i created for every tough moment. Sometimes it appears to me in, uh..." i paused, looking for the perfect word. "... In flashes. A memory, but it's also a metaphor." I ran my hand against my hair, "and have there been many?" I lean my back against the couch, "oh, Camila, we both know that I'm no stranger to violence." 

"Why that particular tree?"