Chapter 25

Alexis POV

Once we walked into Vanessa's apartment, she instantly guided me towards her couch.

"Lay down, I will bring you some water," she told me while handing me a puffy blanket.

"Vanessa," I called, but she ignored me and brought a pillow from what I assume was her bedroom. I rolled my eyes and reached for her hand. She finally paused. "I'm fine, please," I begged for her to calm down.

She was clearly fighting with herself but finally complied by making an adorable pout. I smirked at that, but before I could say anything Amira has jumped on me.

"Mira! Alexis has to rest, please calm down," Vanessa scolded her daughter, pointing for her to get down.

"Sorry, Amira... Just a b-b-bit tired," I told the girl, who couldn't hide a disappointment on her face.

Vanessa took the girl to her bedroom saying something about changing into more comfortable attire. I looked at my boss who stood in the kitchen ordering food through her phone.

I think it only just hit me, that I was in Ms. Jones apartment. God, it felt weird to call her that... Whenever we were out of the school grounds, I kept forgetting she was my teacher. What a mess...

Leaning against the sofa I partially covered myself with a blanket, thinking about earlier.

My childhood was something I strongly repressed in my memory, but it could be triggered back, by certain images or situations. In this case, I assume for a second there I felt as if... I was a part of what I always wanted – A family.

Now that the image of my mother has refreshed itself in my head, I couldn't help but think about her. How awful she looked, how she treated me... but most importantly, what she made of me. An alcoholic, junkie, disgusting addict, who lets their kids do that? I hope she would remain in jail till her end because she deserved nothing less for creating me, a stuttering child.

"Hey..."

"I s-should really stop sp-spacing out, s-sorry," I said to my boss who sat by my side.

She gave me a side smile and nudged me with her shoulder. "It's alright, just remember to ask if you want to go to the hospital or back home," she informed with a serious tone.

I gave her a reassuring nod.

"Well food should be here soon, let's watch something," she reached for the remote and turned the TV on. As much as I wanted to be respectful and not invade Vanessa's privacy, my curiosity took over and eyes began to wander around the apartment.

It was a modern-looking place, with a nice small kitchen connected to the living room, two doors on the side that I assume led to girls' bedrooms, and a white door, which was probably the bathroom. The flat itself wasn't large, but the spacious living room really did the job, especially with a beautiful white dining table at the back right next to a wide window.

What's caught my attention however was the neatness Vanessa managed to keep while having a child. She sure wasn't lying about being a bit of a cleaning freak.

As my eyes mindlessly looked around, my heart skipped when they landed on Vanessa who just came out of her room. A second - That's how long our eye contact lasted. Who knew it was enough to make me feel nervous.

"Finally," Ann remarked. "I ordered pasta, they should be here-" she didn't finish as her phone rang loudly. "Yay, I will go get it!" she rushed out of the door.

I subtly checked Vanessa out, she had her hair tied in a long ponytail. It was the first time when I saw her with her hair up, she looked stunning.

She cleared her throat causing me to jump. Embarrassment most likely displayed on my warm cheeks.