Chapter 18

Daisy POV

"You suck," I remarked victoriously.

Sammy groaned loudly and swore under his nose - He could never beat me at Mario Karts.

With the corner of my eye, I observed Mason, he was quieter than usual, which I would be lying if I said wasn't worrisome. I loved my friends more than anything, and I knew whenever there was something wrong.

Mason was always the most unstable one. We all might have gone through horrible things, but surely his hit him the most. Surviving the crash at such a young age and seeing your amazing loving parents, and adorable little sister ripped to pieces, was a picture that we knew will haunt him till his end.

I couldn't exactly blame him for trying to end his own life. He himself admitted he didn't want to live and cursed us for saving him from his previous attempts. Stuffed with heavy meds and sleeping almost most of the time, wasn't a life he wanted. Yet, for the past few years, he kept ongoing.

Maybe for us, or maybe something still held him here - A tiny possibility of us starting a life together.

However, now that he saw we were all slowly moving forward, he most likely didn't see himself in the picture. Even our little bean managed to find a job and take a few steps into the real world. Unfortunately, a depressed individual wasn't going to understand a simple 'that's not true' or 'don't think that way'.

"Mason, whatever you are thinking in that beautiful head of yours. Stop," I warned him with seriousness in my voice.

My curly-headed friend snapped out of his thoughts and stared at me with a guilty expression. I knew him all too well to not know what was going on in his head.

"We have to move forward, but we will never leave you. We will get you out of here, that's the plan and unchangeable truth," I reassured matter-of-factly.

"And here I thought Lexi was the mother," Sammy chuckled, trying to loosen up the atmosphere.

I scoffed with a sly smirk, "I'm the daddy, bitch."

Blondie groaned, probably trying to erase what I've just said from his mind. I got up from the floor and embraced Mason in a strong hug.

"We love you... don't you give up on us, okay?"

"Okay," he answered shortly, his voice fragile, almost undetectable.

I moved him away and smiled, "That's my boy!" I praised jokingly.

He rolled his eyes but finally laughed. His laugh could always warm my heart, it suited him so well – I wish I could protect it, but only he held that power.

Nevertheless, I knew I was always going to protect them. My little anxious Alexis, Sam, and Mason, they needed my strength, and that's what I was going to give them.

I checked my phone that vibrated in the back of my pocket. Reading the message from Jenny, my adoptive family, she told me she was waiting outside in the car - I haven't realized it was so late.

"Guess I won't be seeing Lexi tonight, gotta get going," I announced with a frown, bothered by having to leave so early.

After we said our goodbyes I went downstairs and barged into Mark's office to give him a quick wave goodbye. As usual, he scolded me for the lack of manners, but I knew deep down he couldn't be upset with me, being glad I visited so often.

I got outside to the tiny parking lot we had in front of the institution. It was already dark, and I wondered if Alexis was going to be okay to walk home by herself. Spotting the only car with lights I approached it and entered from the passenger side.