II - Chapter 4

Alexis POV

Who knew feeling happy and excited was so tiring, yet I didn't want it to stop. Because for the first time in my pathetic life I've felt like I was actually living.

Not existing, not pushing through, not dealing with anything, but simply living. That was the only way to describe it.

My heart ached from a foreign, but a happy feeling that I've got ever since Vanessa has agreed for us to stay at the aquarium. Her decision has caused tears to gather in my eyes as a spark of hope has bloomed inside of my heart.

I didn't even know how to explain it. I wanted for her to understand how grateful I was, how much it meant to me, but I couldn't – I wasn't able to. Maybe because at the end of the day she would have to live throughout my entire life in order to fully comprehend it.

The time I've spent with my parents wasn't even worth mentioning, however, the institution was a whole another story. I would never complain because I was grateful for not ending up in the system, where I surely wouldn't make it past the age of ten. I got to meet my true family and cherished every minute we got with each other, but it wasn't an easy life.

Constant supervision, what to do or not to do, meds and doctors made it feel like a prison. A safe space, something necessary for survival, but still a prison. We were provided with the things we needed in order to function but never has anyone done anything specifically for us.

For me...

Until now. For some odd reasons, this gorgeous woman has cared enough to go against her better judgment and do something she clearly wouldn't have otherwise.

All because she wanted to make me happy.

Was I stupid and naive for feeling this special and excited from what others would perceive as a simple gesture? Maybe, but I didn't care. Nothing mattered right now other than being here with Vanessa, who kept on stealing what she has probably thought were unnoticeable glances as she protectively held my hand in hers.

I loved the feeling of safety she gave me. Every time I've gotten overly excited during our sightseeing tour she would allow me to drag her along instead of letting go.

Whenever someone walked or stood near me she would discreetly sneak her arm around my waist and bring me closer. Satisfied only once my back was rested against her chest. And so help me God my heart would explode every time she's done that.

I wouldn't have taken Vanessa for an affectionate type who displayed their feelings in public, but she loved to surprise me, by often planting unexpected kisses on my head or hugging me from behind as we watched the exhibitions.

"Alexis?" her concerned voice has caught my attention.

Tilting my head ever so slightly I glanced at her with curiosity.

She frowned and gently caressed my cheek with her thumb, which felt so incredibly good, I believed she could melt my soul.

"Why are you crying sweetheart?" she asked worriedly.

Raising my hand, with utter confusion I carefully grazed over my eye, automatically parting my lips in surprise - Why was I?

Taking a minute to understand those unintentional tears I finally gathered my thoughts. "I t-t-think I'm so happy, that I cried..." I gasped in disbelief. "Is that e-even a t-t-thing?" I felt embarrassed by the revelation. 

Vanessa's worrisome expression has quickly shifted into a wide smile as she leaned in and gently pressed her plump lips against mine, sending a wave of butterflies and a pounding heart to take over my thoughts as the kiss has successfully delivered its message - 'You're fine, everything is fine'.