Lyric: Fifty-One

Melrose POV:

"Well this is a surprise, I thought that Kai would have driven you back," Zack said while tilting his head back as he continued to sit on the bench.

"He's...going to be busy today. So I told him that I'll head back on my own..." I explained as I began to put my face mask on.

This couldn't be any more awkward, Zack already sounds exhausted by his voice. I'm starting to second-guess taking the bus now, but I'm a little confused as to why he's waiting here. It can't be because he's thinking of taking the bus, is he? No, that would be ridiculous and-

"Just how much longer do I have to wait for this stupid bus-"

"Wait! So you're going to take the bus?! Why wouldn't you just call a cab instead? It's too dangerous for you to take public transportation-"

"I always take the bus, it's more convenient for me. And since I don't have a license yet, I can't drive a car. Besides, taking a cab  has always been a pain in the ass for me since the taxis charge way too much." He said in a breathless sigh, I was shocked to hear him say that he would much rather take the bus than pay the expenses of a cab. I mean... isn't he rich?

"What about you? Why aren't you taking a cab?" He asked me as we both heard the engine of a vehicle approaching.

"I would like to spend less money if I can, so If there's a bus available near me. Then I would much rather take that instead..." I responded as we both looked down the street to see the bus coming toward us.

"Spend less money? You and the rest of the staff should be making a good income so why are you being so careful- you know what, never mind. It's none of my business what you do with your payments..." He said as he avoided making eye contact with me.

With the bus coming to a stop, we both entered the vehicle. And to my surprise, there weren't many people inside. If anything, there were more elderly on the bus than younger folk. Then again, a lot of the younger generation drive their own cars now. Quickly entering, I watched as Zack took a seat near the back. Following his direction, I ended up taking the seat in front of him. I'm not entirely sure where this bus will stop, but if Zack is going back to the dorm. Then I'm certain that the bus will stop near the company...

"How long..."

I heard Zack mumble his words out. Too nervous to turn around, I faced forward and felt the bus starting to move.

"What are you talking about-"

"You and Kai...just how long has this relationship been going for? I know it wasn't when you both met each other in America, so tell me...why did it have to be him?" He asked again, only this time his voice sounded very stern.

"I'm sorry-"

"You don't need to apologize, it's not like you knew you would like him. I'm just surprised that Kai would...start something with you. He's always been someone who keeps to himself, not only that but...after what happened to my sister. He only ended up distrusting a lot more people...I honestly thought that Lily would be the one to help Kai in the end...but I guess life works in mysterious ways..." 

He explained as I stared out the window, the many gray clouds that were beginning to cover the skies showed that it would begin to rain soon...

"Zack, you say I have nothing to be sorry for. But I do... because I've been lying to you. Kai already told me that he explained to you that I'm not married. I never wanted to deceive anyone, especially manager Sang. Because I know that once he finds out the truth, he'll most definitely fire me. I was almost afraid that he might even sue me for this...but it was the only choice I had to make ends meet. You see, my parents don't have good-paying jobs. They're behind on their mortgage and I only ended up burying them deeper with my college payments. So whenever I get paid, I send a majority of my check to my family. I only keep enough to feed myself and buy the essentials of what I need...you're probably wondering why I'm telling you all this. It's because I have my reasons for working here...it wasn't just to pursue my career of doing makeup. But to help my family as well... and that was it. That was all I planned on doing with my life...just working. Kai...he was the last person who I thought would interfere in my life. And you're right...I didn't plan on liking him, but because I did...I ended up hurting Lily and Kai's relationship-"