Lyric: Thirty-Nine

Kai's POV:

"Lily, are you sure you want to go? It's pretty far and I don't want you to get tired-"

"Yes, I'm sure! We haven't gone in years, I wanted to invite my brother and Jin to come as well. But I think that we would all draw too much attention if we all went as a group, so I hope you don't mind it being just the two of us. And don't worry so much about me, I'll be fine..." 

Lily explained with a smile as we were heading towards a festival a few hours away from us.

"Of course, I don't mind, but I don't think it's just the two of us since..." 

I awkwardly voiced out as I looked at the two individuals who were sitting in front of the passenger and driver's seat.

"I'm sorry Mr. Joong, but I can't let my lady leave untended, I was given strict rules by her family to accompany her. But don't worry, I'll make sure I'm a distance away from the two of you-"

"Mr. Hyun, there is nothing for you to apologize for. We're doing our duties in protecting these two, so we must keep our heads up and be prepared for today-"

"Jung, just because you're my bodyguard. That doesn't mean you should exaggerate in your work. Look, I understand why you both needed to come, but it kinda ruins the whole trip for Lily-"

"It's not a trip, it's a date! How many times do I have to tell you?" She voiced out at me as playfully laid a punch on my arm.

"Okay okay, it's a date! Just stop this abusive behavior." I jokingly laughed as we both enjoyed the car ride.

I was honestly surprised that Lily wanted to go out today. But she made a fair point, she and I haven't spent much time together. Though it's mainly my fault why that is, I've been avoiding her for so long. But I can't bring up the reason why. Lily would only get angry with me. I know she doesn't want me to feel guilty anymore, and for me to stop apologizing to her. But it's not that simple, I will always feel at fault until the day I die. And because of that, I have to be honest with her today...

"Mr. Jung, thank you for keeping it a secret from manager Sang. I know that he wouldn't have let Kai tag along with me, but don't worry. I'll make sure Kai and I won't do anything to draw attention to us." Lily explained with a bright smile.

"Oh, it's no problem at all. There's no need to thank me. Besides, I think what Mr. Joong needs is some time away from the studio. He's always working, so-"

Letting out an abrupt cough, I wanted Jung to stop speaking about my work schedule. He seemed to have noticed my gesture as he suddenly kept silent and continued to drive. It's true that I've been overworking myself more than usual. But it's because I feel like that's all I can do...to keep myself sane. To not let my mind wander in darkness, I've come to realize that writing my music has become more difficult for me. I think it's because I'm starting to change... and I blame her for it.

"Rose..." I muttered her name so quietly to myself as I looked out the window.

"Kai, let's enjoy today. I want to make you smile, so no looking depressed when I'm here!" Lily said to me as I felt her hands wrapping around my arm.

"Okay...what do you wanna do at the festival first? I'll let you decide..." I responded with a light-hearted smile as I turned to look at her.

"Such a gentleman you are, okay...let me see. I wanna drop by the lake first and then..."

As I heard Lily's words, her face was glowing with excitement. She must have been looking forward to today, even as she snuggles herself close to me. I would think that my heart would flutter in happiness, but why is it beating so coldly instead? The old me would've been in love with her even more, but that just isn't the case. So what the hell am I doing? I feel like I'm just wasting her time coming here, I'm trying my best to be happy and smile as she asks of me. But...