You're Driving Me Wild: Part Two

Start from the beginning

"Do you trust me?" Charlie asked staring into Erik's eyes.

"Of course," Erik replied and that's all Charlie needed before he ran for the back door. A surprised yelp escaped Erik but he made no attempt to break the grip.

"Charlie where are you going?" Alex shouted following suit.

"I have no idea!" Charlie let out a hardy laugh before making it to the back. Miles and miles of forest surrounded them but Charlie knew where he was going. Weaving in and out of trees, around a particularly large rock and down a somewhat steep hill. Charlie was surprised to find everyone was hot on their tail, interested in seeing what Charlie was doing.

    The small lake came into view, being more of a pond really. Lily pads floated briskly along the surface of surprisingly blue water. The springs came down during the winter from the mountains and created a wildly unique filtering system that caused the hidden pond to be a light shade of blue and green. It was Charlie and Ravens favorite spot, somewhere not even the group knew about. But, Charlie was tired of not doing what he wanted in his life, no matter the severity of his internal request.

"Charlie? Is that—" Erik was asking but Charlie's feet showed no sign of slowing as they grew closer to the edge of the grass. Laughter echoed from Charlie and soaked into the nature surrounding them. Closer and closer they grew before grass became unsteady wood on a dock.

"Wait we ha-" Charlie tightened his grip on Erik's hand and jumped joyously off of the dock and into the water below. Pulling both boys down below.

_______Erik_______

Several thoughts ran through Erik's head as he fell into the water. The first being the shock of cold that caused his nerves to scream. The second was something slower in development and realization. He slowly opened his eyes to find Charlie doing the same. The biggest brightest smile was fitted on his features. There was something almost manic about it that Erik loved. There he was, his Charlie. The one he'd known his whole life. The one that drags his friends to spontaneously shocking adventures that end up cherished memories. The boy with the lion heart. Charlie was beautiful, Erik thought. Absolutely beautiful. And then a thought occurred to him. The last time he went swimming was at the beginning of summer at the party that started it all. It had been a dare then, by Sean he thinks. To jump in fully clothed and it had been Charlie who scolded him all night about it. It had also been the night Erik almost made a move. It was funny how things change. Charlie ended their summer with the same spontaneous action Erik had started it with. Only this time Charlie was happier than he had been all summer.

"Make way!" Darwin's voice boomed as the remaining boys jumped into the water.

One word came to Erik in that moment. A moment spent so perfectly under the protective warmth of the summer sun and the delicate chill of the pond. One word to describe the nostalgia and happiness he felt watching Charlie splash Sean. Home.

~~~~

When the girls finally did make it to the Cabin all the boys were still outside. While they changed their clothes, their hair still remained damp and their shoes remained hanging over the banister outside. It took them all a few hours to clean up the grill and set up the bonfire area for the week. And luckily the girls had gone grocery shopping, successfully stocking the pantry for the wild appetites to come. Erik found himself collecting wood for tonight's campfire. His mind was still reeling with the high of earlier. He wished he had a camera in that moment, to capture Charlie.

"Hey, need a hand?" Charlie's voice cut into the silence and Erik turned to see him holding a few sticks.

"Yeah, sure," Erik smiled. Charlie was practically glowing which wasn't good news for a pining heart. He wore a black t-shirt and jeans, a simple outfit that was doing a number on Erik. Charlie never wore black, he preferred bright colors that popped against his freckles and blue eyes. Never black, he felt it washed him out. But, he couldn't be more wrong Erik realized.