Don't Cry for Me

"This house is on fire, woo!

Burning the tears right off my face

What the hell did we do?

Tell me we'll make it through."

________CHARLIE_____TW: Trauma and Injury__________

"...you would have hated it. It was so stupid, Darwin went on and on about this dumb movie for hours. Although looking back I guess they were just trying to get me out of this room. Still, it was awful. The ripped me from your side only to subject me to two hours of useless brain torture. I wish you were there though, there was a part you would have found funny and I swear I looked over to see your reaction but, uh, obviously you weren't there."

A voice cut into Charlie's eardrums with the fluid rise and fall of each disappearing syllable. They were hard to catch, too fast and a little hushed. But, the voice was familiar all the same. The rasp was knitted in his mind weaving into childhood memories and discussions of far off places. That voice sounded like late night phone calls. That voice smelled like dollar store deodorant and sandalwood candles. The candles his mother loved so much...Charlie felt his stomach flip awkwardly. Butterflies fighting horribly in his ribs. But, he remained motionless, in an inky darkness that was warm and uncomfortable.

"Everyone keeps telling me to go home. Which is stupid, go home to do what? Worry about you? I did have to shower in the nurses shower though, it was kinda weird but you know. Your parents are back from Paris, I think? I don't remember what Raven said... to be honest I don't remember a lot from that whole twenty four hours."

A pause, something similar to a shuddered breath. Charlie knew that voice, he felt that voice more vividly than anything in this dark subconscious state. It pulled him, a rope around his waist, tethering him to something else. Something brighter and colorful yet filled with needles of pain the closer he got. The pain was somewhere in his chest and it poked his eyes and tickled his nose. No, idiot those are just tears. Remember how much you cry? When you think he can't see you? Charlie's own harsh voice shouted at him in the dark.

"You would be pretty proud of Raven actually. She, uh, really pulled through. Your parents are letting me stay here while they talk to the cops with Raven. J--well he disappeared pretty quickly after it all went down. Cops have been keeping a close lookout to keep you safe. But, don't worry. I'll be here all day and if they let me, I'll stay all night. Perks of your mom being on the night shift I guess."

A beeping caught Charlie's ears over the voice. Rhythmic and slow like a metronome. Charlie willed that sound away as he fought to find the voice again.

"Sorry if I'm annoying you but they said talking to you would help and I'm going a little insane without you. It's been two days since I've seen your eyes...kinda missing them Charlie."

A pause. A sniffle. A smack. A whimper.

"God, it's all my fault isn't it? Why didn't I notice Charlie? I'm supposed to be there for you, protect you. I didn't even...I'm so sorry."

It's not your fault...Erik. And just like that a flash of light. Charlie wouldn't come to describe it as the whole "life flashing before your eyes" moment but rather something much deeper. It was a laser focused flash, one face. A single boy. And if he was brave enough, Charlie would have liked to describe it as "Love flashing before your eyes". It was jolting electricity in his chest and lightning strikes in his toes. Visions of a boy played in his eyelids like a wind storm. Each memory a picture perfect capture of him laughing, crying, bloody, healed, clean and muddy. Summer afternoons and Winter nights. Football stands and hoarse voices. Skateparks and band-aids. Lectures and hugs...a kiss on the cheek. A song far away enough to feel ethereal. All leading back to the boy with the sharp cheekbones and sharktooth smile. Charlie needed to get to him. He needed to wake up...