Wear Me Down

"My hopes,
they are high,
I must keep them small."
_____________ERIK_______________

Erik could hear Charlie's fumbling footsteps race down the stairs. He was stunned and frozen. His calloused hand touched his cheek softly as he fought to process what happened. Had he and Charlie almost kissed? He could have been imagining it but Erik swore he saw it. Charlie was a naturally affectionate person so it could have just been nothing. But, at the same time a nagging voice whispered the miraculous possibility that it meant everything. Erik's stomach lurched in all different directions as his face grew hot. Charles Xavier would have kissed him if his damn phone hadn't gone off.

"Holy shit," Erik mumbled with a chuckle. He shouldn't be so giddy. It wasn't even a real kiss but something about the idea of it was enough. The idea that Charlie would ever go for a guy like him was enough.

"See you soon," Erik heard from downstairs. Charlie sounded strange and his voice was uncharacteristically harsh. There were a few muffled words and pacing that Erik could hear. He wondered who was on the phone. Maybe it was Raven and he just told her everything. No, he wouldn't do that. Especially not after what happened to him last year. After a few minutes he heard Charlie renter the bedroom. Erik tried to look normal as Charlie came into view. He was holding his phone nervously and his eyes were troubled. Shit, Erik thought, I've ruined everything.

"Charlie look I'm sorry about what happ-" Erik began.

"That was Jack," Charlie spoke with an echo of heartbreak in that name. A shattering echo that made Erik's body stiffen. His insides felt like fire and his heart bled through his shirt. He felt like he had just drank poison and was slowly dying. But of course he couldn't show that so instead:

"Really? What did he want?" Erik asked with a forced tone of casualness.

"He said he's had time to think and wants to have coffee...to talk I guess?" Charlie croaked out in confusion. Charlie got this expression on his face when he was conflicted. Erik would usually chuckle and tell him to chill but he couldn't this time.

"Coffee? Did you say yes?" Erik knew the answer was either going to mend or completely obliterate his teenage heart.

"Yeah, I mean It's just coffee Erik. I figured I deserve closure or whatever." Charlie talked with his hands dramatically but Erik's ears were ringing. His whole body trembled sadly as he fought back tears.

"Charlie you know how he is though. It's not just coffee for him. He's going to try to get back together," Erik warned trying to sound stable.

"I know, I know. But...what if he's changed? Sometimes people just need time to be comfortable in themselves," Charlie twiddled with his fingers. There was silence as things were said through eye contact.

"Not all people change Charlie. Not all people deserve your second or third chances."

"It's just coffee. It's not like I'm gonna marry the guy." Charlie began to get frustrated. First Erik tried to kiss him causing a whole slew of old emotions to rise and then he's scolding him for wanting closure?

"It's a bad idea and you know it. You sell yourself short Charles. He isn't a good guy, you should raise your standards a bit. Maybe then you'll find someone who will treat you better." Erik finished his voice harsher than he intended but riddled with hidden messages. Someone like me.

"Don't be mad at me...I just want closure. That's not fair. And why do you even care if I get back with Jack? You're always busy with your flavor of the week. I've barely seen you and when I do you're distant. Did I do something? Because if I did just tell me," Charlie fumed his voice riddled with emotions. Charlie's foot was tapping the tile flooring and his hair was askew from gesturing frantically. Erik stared at Charlie and frowned. Even in this state, Charles was gorgeous.