Chapter 7: Who Am I?

....I felt someone's presence behind me.

Who is it?

I turned around and saw...

"Jeremy?"

"Hey Janet," he said and smiled.

"You look worried. Aren't you happy that I am here?" He asked.

"And you believe so?" I smirked.

"I wish you are always here, Jeremy." I said.

He sighed and said, "Janet, I know yesterday you tried hard to call me but I couldn't come. I am sorry for that."

"It's ok, but how is that possible?" I asked.

"Janet, it's your powers. Your powers are getting dangerous. It's controlling you." He said.

"What do you mean? What powers?" I asked him, getting confused.

"Your mind. Your subconscious mind. I am always there in your subconscious. This is the reason I came to my home at that time and at this moment I am here. I can be anywhere you want. And you want me to be with you every time. Isn't it?" He said.

Though he was serious I couldn't able to resist my giggle after hearing those words 'and you want me to be with you every time.' Perhaps, he was right. It's true, I really wanted him to be with me every time... every moment.

"What's so funny Janet?" He asked.

"Trying to flirt me," I said and smiled at him.

"Uhh... I uhh... Oh, c'mon Janet." He smiled.

"Are you being shy?" I asked.

"Hey! No, I am not" he said and laughed.

We both laughed and stood silent for a long while, just looking into each other's eyes. It felt like we can spend ages just like this. We can spend ages just looking into each other. No worries. No sufferings. No words. Complete silence.

I finally dared to interrupt the silence by uttering, "Jeremy"

"Hmmm," he hummed still looking at me.

"Why you couldn't come yesterday?" I asked him.

"You were frustrated and angry. Your mind wasn't working properly at that moment. I already told you it's your powers. It's controlling you." He said and stood silent.

"Janet," he said.

I replied, "yes?"

"Before you read the journal I want to tell you something. Would you believe me, if I tell you?" He asked.

"What is it?" I asked him curiously.

"Promise me you won't get mad at me," he said.

"I won't, I promise. Now tell me." I said. I was running out of my patience.

He looked at me and said, "Janet... you are a witch."

"Are you kidding me?" I asked with a giggle.

"No," he said timidly.

"Jeremy this is not funny. You know I don't like such kind of jokes." I got a bit angry.

"I know and so I am not joking. Janet, I am telling you the truth. You are a witch" he said.

"I don't believe it," I said.

I looked at him and said, "are you serious? I am.."

"Yes" he said in a serious voice.

I felt like someone stabbed my heart. His voice felt like an arrow with a blunt head. My vision got blurred. I started to panic and fell on the floor.

"Janet....." Upon seeing me falling, he almost screamed.

He sat on his knees beside me and asked politely "Are you ok?"

"I... I am wha...what? Witch??!"

"I am sorry. I didn't want to hurt you Janet. B...But it is the bitter truth and truth can not be hidden for long." He said.

I gritted my teeth and asked, "how long did you know this?"

"I.. I..." He was stammering.

"Speak up Jeremy" I yelled at him.

"When we were in high school." He said.

I stood up and turned my face away from him. I was getting fiery. My anger was turning to rage.

"Jeremy leave," I said.

"Janet... listen...." He couldn't finish speaking, I interrupted in a harsh tone, "just leave me alone Jeremy."

"You promised me you won't get angry." He said timidly. His voice was trembling in fear.

"Don't you hear me? Get out, Jeremy.." I shouted at him like hell.

He stepped back few inches. His teary face was getting blurry. He was fading slowly and finally gone.

"Jeremy?" I whispered but he had already gone.

I sat on the floor and cried hysterically. I regretted what I did. I didn't want to get angry at him. I had never hurt him like this but he did hurt me too. He had never told me this hellish secret.

I have never been so exasperated in my life. My whole body was shaking in anger and fear.

"Why Jeremy? Why? Why didn't you ever tell me?" I whispered.

I was blaming him, not only him, my parents too. Perhaps I was blaming them more than him.

Why the hell they never told me this? Why? Or they don't know what I am? I still can't believe it. I still can't believe what he said.

I AM A WITCH!