Chapter 3: Haunted

The next day in college, I saw Robbie on the basketball court. I waved my hand to him as he slowly came to me and I said, "hi Robbie"

"Hi Janet," he said with a smile on his face. But there wasn't any jollity or delight in his smile, as if he was trying to hide his miseries with a fake smile.

"Robbie I am sorry about last night. I...uh..." I started fumbling, I didn't know what to say.

"It's ok Janet. Perhaps, Jeremy himself doesn't want us to know anything." He said in a melancholic tone.

"How is Kelly, by the way?" He asked.

I said, "I hope she is alright. I didn't contact her after that incident."

Our conversation was going on, meanwhile, I saw Alice coming towards us.

"Hello guys, all good?" She asked.

"Yeah, we are just talking," Robbie said to Alice.

"I hope you don't mind if I borrow her for a moment," Alice said to him.

"I don't mind, ok girls, see you later." He said and left us alone.

I took Alice's hand and asked her eagerly, "Ali, is everything ok?"

"I don't think so...Jany, your mark... your birthmark..." She started gasping.

"Ali, just calm down dear," I gave her my water bottle to drink some water.

She took a sip of water and then took a deep breath, "Janet, yesterday when you were staring Robbie's burning spirit board, your birthmark glowed like a fire.... again... I mean...on the badminton court.... when we were..."

Before she could finish her words I interrupted, "Yes, I remember. I.... I remember everything. What is happening with me, Ali?...." My eyes were filled with tears and my voice got quivered. I started feeling helpless.

"Calm down dear, it's not your fault. Whatever had happened is not your fault." She sympathized with me.

"And how can you say that?" I asked her.

"Because I know you, Janet. I know you can never hurt anyone. I know you can not even think about hurting your loved ones. I know you, Jany."

I rested my head on her shoulder and said "I need you, Ali... I am scared."

"I am always there for you. You do not have to be scared of anything," she said and hugged me gently.
--------------------------------------------------------------

I came back from college, changed my clothes and grabbed some snacks from the kitchen.

I went to my study room and sat on the chair in front of my study table. I took out my journal and started to write. After writing a few pages, I felt sleepy. I put my head down on my study table and closed my eyes.

As soon as I closed my eyes, I saw a face emerging from the dark. It was the face of a young boy, but his face was so blurred that I could not recognise him. Slowly it approached me and his image becomes clear. I got astonished to recognise him. He had the same innocent face, dark brown eyes and black hair. It was Jeremy.....It was Jeremy standing in front of me. Before I could say anything he got disappeared suddenly.

Instantly, I heard a low and cold voice..."help"... I turned around and saw, Jeremy was crawling and gasping on the floor. A woman was standing beside him holding a dagger in her right hand. This was the same dagger, that I saw in his dead body's hand.

He screamed for help, but before I could save him that woman slit his throat brutally.

I cried loudly...."no..ooo..." and abruptly opened my eyes. I found myself sitting on the chair in front of my study table. I was bathed in sweat. My journal was lying on the table. There was silence all over. "Horrible dream," I whispered.

I came out of the study room and went to my bedroom. I started feeling dizzy and my vision started getting blurry. I felt like my mind is getting numb.

I started wondering about that woman. She was beautiful and middle-aged, having hazel eyes and dark brown hair. She was wearing a black gown which resembled that of ancient times. Who was she? Why did she kill him? What did she want from him? I spoke in my mind.

I looked at the ceiling, I saw Jeremy's face, helpless and unassisted as if he was begging for help. I closed my eyes. "Come back... come back Jeremy.... you can't die.......don't deserve such brutality....no.. you are not dead... You can't die..." I whispered and tears crossed through my cheeks fall on my pillow.

All of a sudden, I felt a cold breath on my neck and I got up hastily. I took a deep breath and got up from the bed to get the water bottle kept on the table beside the bed. As I took the bottle, I realised someone is behind me. I stood still for a moment. As I turned around, I got startled and fell on the floor. The bottle fell from my hand, splashing water all over.

"Jer.... Jeremy!.... Y...you...." I got shuddered. My voice started quivering. I felt like I was choking.

"Janet.... Don't be afraid.." he said softly.

I couldn't believe my eyes. Jeremy is in front of me? He is standing in front of me?

Somehow, I managed to stand on my feet. He wasn't looking creepy at all and I knew, he would never hurt me, so, I dared to speak, "Jeremy? You.. you are really here??"