Chapter 5: What Happened That Day?

She is Cassandra!

These words stuck inside my head and I was wondering if I could find any resemblance among both the women. Mrs Bennett and Cassandra are the same! All at once, an image of a woman came to my mind in a flash. The woman I saw in the nightmare. "Yes, she is," I whispered.

Same eyes, same hair, same face as that of Mrs Bennett. The only difference is Mrs Bennett doesn't look ancient like her.

"Yes. I saw her. I saw her, yes. It was Mrs Bennett. The same woman. Oh my god!" I said timidly.

Jeremy nodded looking at me.

"Jeremy, what exactly happened on that day? Please tell me everything." I asked him impatiently.

He sighed and started to speak, "it was November 13...

---------------13 November 2015--------------

(Jeremy's POV)

It was 9 p.m. Sitting on the bed, I was writing a letter.

All of a sudden, the doorbell rang. I got up, and moved downstairs to open the door. "who is this?" I asked.

The voice came from outside, "Jeremy, can you do me a favour?"

I opened the door and saw Mrs Bennett standing outside. I said, "Hello Mrs Bennett, Please come in."

"Actually, I need a hand if you don't mind." She said.

"Of course I don't mind. What happened?" I asked her.

"The door of my car has got locked. Can you just check it?" Mrs Bennett asked me politely.

"O yeah sure," I said and stepped out from the house. As I walked a bit away, someone hit on the back of my head very hard. I immediately lost my consciousness and fell to the ground.

After a while somehow I finally able to open my eyes. A stabbing pain shot through my head and I realised something sticky rolling down my head. Blood. I found myself seated on a chair and my hands were behind the chair, tied with a rope. For a moment I couldn't understand anything.

I saw a woman standing in front of me. It was Mrs Bennett. I was stunned and didn't say anything for a while.

Finally, I opened my mouth and dared to speak, "Mrs Bennett? Yo.. you... are..."

"Hello honey, I am glad you're awake." She said softly.

"W..what's g..going on? What d..do you w...want?" I stuttered.

"I want your soul." She said slowly in a diabolical tone.

"Wh.. what? What do you mean?...uh.. you are not a psychopath, right? Untie me. Mrs Benn..." Before I could finish my words she yelled at me, "Stop calling me Mrs Bennett. I am not Elsa Bennett."

"I am Cassandra" she said.

I got startled and tried hard to understand the situation but I could not figure out what's happening.

She gave a wicked smile and continued, "well, it's good that you already know me. Don't you Jeremy? Your ancestors. They knew me very well."

I was horrified and got stunned. I didn't know what's happening but when she mentioned the word ancestors, abruptly it came to my mind, the journal, the journal my grandmother gave me. I had read it, and there, it was mentioned about a witch... Yes, there was mentioned about her. About Cassandra. But how did she knows about all these? Cassandra? Oh my god! It means sh..she is...she is really here! Impossible! I was thinking and speaking in my mind.

"Cassandra! Witch" I whispered.

"Aha..finally, you remembered. Good. I don't have to waste any time to introduce myself." She said.

I kept silent for a moment. I couldn't believe it. She is our neighbour since 5 years and I never came to know that she is a witch! Our neighbour is a witch!

"Impossible.... You... from centuries ago....here....You were dead!!" I whispered timidly.
The whole room echoed with her satanic laughter and then she spoke, "Yes, I was dead. But, you don't know the whole truth."

"What truth? What I don't know?" I yelled

"That's not important. Now shut up and let me do my work." She said.

"I won't. I won't let you do anything. I won't let you. Do you hear me?" I shouted.

"Who will stop me? You? Huh! C'mon poor boy. Don't you know what I am? Don't you know what I am capable of? Centuries ago, if your ancestors wouldn't have interfered with my work, you would have been alive today. They started it and I will end it." Cassandra said and put her right hand inside the pocket of her jacket and took out a dagger.

"Cassandra wait. Please don't. You don't need to do this." I tried to stop her.

"Don't waste my time Jeremy, I have to finish this before your parents come. I am sorry Jeremy." She said viciously.

I gritted my teeth and shouted, "bloody monster" I tried to free my wrists from the ropes, thrown my legs here and there, screamed for help and did everything to save myself, but all gone in vain.

She slowly approached me and started chanting, "dedos....hetu...imfantra...seques....hetu...imfantra...."

She raised the dagger in the air and began to rip the air. Just as she was ripping off the dagger in the air, my throat was also getting ripped and I started groaning in pain. Blood was oozing out from the cut part of my throat. In a blink of a moment, my white T-shirt got stained in blood. Tears slowly rolled down my cheeks. She had no mercy in her eyes and continued to slit my throat until I took the last breath.

When she was done with me, she chanted a word which untied the ropes and my dead body fell on the ground. She placed the dagger in my right palm and said, "it's done."

When I opened my eyes after a long while, I saw a breathless body, lying on the floor. I was dead.