Chapter 2: Spirit Board On Fire

The next morning the alarm rang, as usual, it's too irritating to get up early in the morning and get ready for college.

"Good morning mom, good morning dad," I said with a sleepy face holding my toothbrush in my hand.

"Morning honey, I made cheese sandwiches for breakfast," mom said while pouring coffee into her mug.

I had my breakfast and gets ready for college. l quickly descended the stairs to avoid being late.

I managed to reach college on time, entered the classroom and occupied the bench.

A tall, handsome, middle
-aged man, stepped into the classroom.

"Hello, students! My face is unfamiliar to you all. Isn't it?" He said while writing something on the whiteboard.

He wrote on the board Shane Campbell, turned to us and then said "I am Shane Campbell, your new history professor."

"So my dear students Prof. Morgan must have given you some assignments. That will be checked by me because he won't come now." Campbell announced.

One of our classmates, Matt interrupted him and asks, "excuse me, sir, Prof. Morgan won't be teaching us anymore?"

Campbell replied, "no he is not here anymore. I mean he left the town."

Alice jumped in the middle of the talk and asked "why did he leave?"

Prof. Campbell said that he doesn't know the reason, so, nobody asked any further queries about Prof. Morgan. "So students may I proceed further?" Campbell continued the lecture.

I continued with the class and after it was over I catch up with my friends in the canteen.

"Our new professor is quite handsome," Kelly said.

"Yeah, but he is quite wired," Alice said staring at me. She whispered in my ears, "have you noticed?" I asked her "what?"

"Campbell was constantly noticing you during the class," Alice said.

"Yeah, maybe because I wasn't listening to him carefully and I was feeling sleepy too," I told her.

"No Jany. The way he was looking at you was quite different." Alice said, biting the burger.

"Oh, c'mon Alice you are scaring me now...." Before I could finish Robbie jumped in the middle of our conversation and said, "guys, are you all ready for a hangout after college?"

Kelly and Alice agreed to it. My parents had told me that they were going to attend the opening of my uncle's new restaurant. So, eventually, I agreed. Better to hangout than staying alone at home.

"Alright Robbie, I am in, but where should we go?" I asked him.

"At my house.... look, I can not tell you everything right now. I have something on my mind. It's for Jeremy." Robbie said it with a mysterious look on his face.

"What is going on your mind? Why did you say it is for Jeremy? Do you know anything about my brother?" Alice asked curiously.

"No, I don't, but we can know. We can know everything about him, about his death?" Said Robbie.

"What do you mean, Robbie? What are you going to do?" I asked him eagerly.

"Relax guys. I told you, I can not tell everything at this moment. Please, come to my house after college is over. See you later." Robbie said and left the canteen.

We were all curious to find out the cause of Jeremy's death, and if we talk about Robbie, he was Jeremy's best friend. So obviously, his eagerness must have been many times more than us.
--------------------------------------------------------------

It was 6 in the evening. I looked through my bedroom window, Alice and Kelly were waiting for me outside the house. I immediately came out of the house getting ready. We all sat in the car and within a few minutes, we reached Robbie's house.

Kelly rang the doorbell. The door opened and he welcomed us in.

We sat on the couch, Robbie went inside and called us in. We went inside his study room. He was sitting on the floor with a spirit board in front of him. I saw Jeremy's photo lying over the left corner of the board.

"Wait... Are you going to call Jeremy's spirit?" Kelly asked.

"Yes, This is the only way we can figure out the cause of his death," Robbie said with a glimpse of hope in his eyes.

Alice added further, "perhaps he is right."

I countered them and said "no you won't do anything like this. Robbie, it's too dangerous."

"Jeremy is not dangerous," he said.

"What if we call any wrong or evil spirit by mistake?" I questioned getting angry.

Believe me, I really wanted to know the reason behind his death. I really wanted to see him again but I was scared because I had heard from somewhere that sometimes the spirits get trapped in our world.

Perhaps, I was wondering what would happen if Jeremy's spirit stuck here forever. If this happens, then his spirit may have to suffer for ages. I didn't want to imprison his spirit. I didn't want him to suffer.

I continued to oppose them and then we got into an argument. I was getting angry. My anger got increasing so badly that I could not resist myself. I was staring at the spirit board fiercely lying between Robbie and Alice.

Suddenly, the spirit board was on fire. Everyone got scared and panicked. But I kept staring at the burning board acrimoniously.

I felt someone shaking my body and heard a voice, "Jany... Janet... Janet."
It was Alice. I came back to my senses abruptly. The fire was gone and my anger was gone too. All we could see was the ashes of the spirit board.

Kelly got terrified and said "it's enough now. We are leaving."

"Do we have any choice? I am sorry guys, you all must leave now." Robbie said, looking on the ashes of his spirit board on the floor.

No one understood how that happened. No one lit the lighter. There wasn't any candle or any fire catching object.

What exactly happened at that moment?....