Chapter 6: The Journal

-----------------Back to present-----------------

Janet's POV

I was stunned and stood silent for a moment. My mind was not working. His painful scream was still buzzing in my ear.

I somehow, gathered my guts to speak, "how could she...how could anyone be so brutal?"

Before Jeremy could speak anything the door behind me unlocked.

"Mom?"

"Jany? With whom you were talking?" Mom asked me.

I turned and saw, Jeremy wasn't there anymore. No one was there except me and my mom.

"Uhh..mom I was just talking to Ali," I told her pointing to my mobile.

"Seriously? At 2 am?" She asked with a question mark on her face.

"I was just discussing some assignments. It's important mom." I said.

"Alright, now sleep dear." She said.

"Good night mom" I said.

She left and I was thinking about how to contact Jeremy again. Millions of questions were running inside my head. I couldn't able to figure out anything. I was getting angry and frustrated.

Suddenly, my eyes got stuck in the mirror beside me. My birthmark. It was glowing. It was glowing like a fire. I freaked out. I turned my face away from the mirror and close my eyes.

"What the hell? What's happening with me?" I gasped for a few moments. I took a deep breath and opened my eyes slowly, hoping not to see it anymore.

It wasn't glowing anymore. I breathed out and sat on the bed. My mind was completely blank for a while.

"I need to call Jeremy again. But how?" I whispered. He told me 'I won't be here anymore if you stop thinking about me. I am here because you want me to.'

I should concentrate again. I spoke in my mind.

I closed my eyes, started thinking about him, only about him and I whispered his name softly, "Jeremy"

There was complete silence. No one was there. I opened my eyes and whispered, "he is not here."

I tried again and again but nothing happened.

"It's impossible. Why he is not here?" I shouted.

"What should I do now?"

His journal. He said that Cassandra is mentioned in it. I may find everything there. But how and where can I get it. He did not tell where he kept that.

"Alice. She may know something." I whispered.

But I wasn't sure about it. Should I tell her about Jeremy's ghost? Should I tell her everything I know? If Mrs Bennett is Cassandra then Alice may be in danger. She is still her neighbour. No, before anything bad happens I should tell her everything. But will she believe me? My mind was conflicting the whole night. But finally, I decided what to do.

The next morning, after college, I went to Alice's home. I rang the doorbell. She opened the door and welcomed me.

"Hey Jany, how come here?" Alice asked.

"Ali, we need to talk," I said.

"About what?" She asked curiously.

"First promise me...." Before I could say anything I saw Jeremy. He was standing right in front of me.

"Impossible!" I whispered.

"Jany, what's wrong? You are going to say something." Alice asked.

"You can not see him?" I asked.

"Who?" She asked.

I was staring at him with opened mouth.

I didn't call him, didn't even thought about him. How could he come here then? I thought.

"Janet, don't scare me now? What's going on?" Alice asked.

"Uh.. nothing... I am just hallucinating." I said.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"I thought Jeremy is here," I said.

"He is dead Janet. And you know that. Please don't get on my nerves now." Alice was getting annoyed.

"I am sorry," I said and tried to ignore Jeremy. But I heard his voice, "you are not hallucinating. I am here Janet. Please don't tell her anything. Please don't Janet. The journal is in my room. There is a painting on the wall, behind it." He said.

I nodded and asked Alice, "can you help me to finish the assignment?"

"So that's all you wanted to say?" Alice asked.

"Yes, that's all," I replied.

"You get weird sometimes." She laughed and we started to do our work. I turned around to check if Jeremy is still there but he had gone.

I sighed in relief and continued with Ali.

"Snacks time. I am gonna grab something for us." Alice said.

"Yeah sure, I am starving." I grinned.

She moved to the kitchen and I without wasting any time moved to Jeremy's room. I saw the painting hanging on the wall. I removed it from the wall and put it down. There was a small square-shaped locker on the wall. The good thing was it wasn't locked. I opened it and took out the journal. I heard Alice's footsteps approaching the room so I quickly put the journal inside my bag.

--------------------------------------------------------------

After coming back home, I moved to my study room and took out the journal. My heart was pounding and now I can't wait even a moment to read it.

I closed my eyes and whispered, "I got it." I took a deep breath and opened my eyes.

I was just about to open it....but I felt someone's presence behind me.

Who is it?