Chapter 19

Juan went back upstairs when the other guys told him they would continue their FIFA tournament. Neither Emilio nor Rory had been in the common room, so he suspected them of having gone upstairs. A little too enthusiastic he climbed the stairs, thinking of what Emilio had said. That he was in love. Or that he had at least strong feelings for the boy. Even though Emilio was anything but happy about it, Juan believed it was a good development. Emilio had always joked about relationships and the few times he had been with someone for more than a week, it had always been for dubious reasons. Juan thought it was a good sign that he did develop feelings for someone after 24 years, discovering it didn't make someone a pussy.

The two were sitting in the corner of the roof terrace, talking to each other. He heard them chuckle, so he didn't expect their conversation to be so serious that he shouldn't disturb them.

"We're moving on to the next round," he said. "Unless you two rather keep sitting here and do some romantic stuff."

He wiggled his eyebrows. Emilio looked at him with a venomous glance. Juan chuckled quietly — after all these years in which Emilio had teased him or had simply embarrassed him, he thought it was about time to return the favor. He glanced at Rory, whose cheeks were flushing and who'd averted his eyes. Juan had expected him to make a joke about it, but he rather seemed to feel shy. A promising sign, right?

"I already lost," Emilio said.

Rory got up. "I didn't! I'll get a beer and then I'll be there."

Quickly, the boy walked past him.

Emilio stood up too and slammed his fist against Juan's upper arm. "What the fuck are you doing?" he snapped.

Chuckling, Juan lit a cigarette. "What you're doing for years. Annoying, huh? Just be glad I didn't ask him if he was still a virgin and that you would like to help him to change that. Like you did with June, the moment I told you I liked her."

"Dude, that's ten years ago."

Juan shrugged his shoulders. "It's not my fault that it took a decade before you started to have feelings for someone."

Emilio's jaw tensed, but he said nothing.

"Tell me, man. What did you talk about? You think he likes you too? He did turn red..."

"Gimme a smoke first."

Juan handed him the pack and waited until Emilio lit a cigarette.

"We had a good talk, actually," Emilio started a bit insecure. "He uh — he told me he's gay. And that he's dating a guy but that he doesn't have feelings for him."

"You're serious?" Juan grinned from ear to ear. "Wow dude. This can't be a coincidence. I never met someone you can get along with so well."

Emilio shrugged. "I did admit that I recently found out that I like guys too, but I told him I like someone else."

Juan frowned. "What? Why?"

He sighed. "Because I only want to be friends, for now. You know me, man. You know I fuck up relationships. And Rory is a cool guy, he deserved better than a guy who doesn't even know if he wants to date guys at all — and a guy who's never been faithful."

Juan studied his face. That Emilio had thought that far ahead was promising. He however decided not to push and nodded. They barely knew each other. If they felt attracted to each other, they would end up together.

"But you will stay in contact with him, right?" Juan asked, hoping Emilio didn't plan to be too passive. For a long time, he believed that Emilio needed more friends. He understood that some couldn't look past his cold demeanor and harsh words, but he was a friend who had been at his side every day of his life and who would walk through fire for him.