Chapter 5

Emilio would absolutely describe himself as lazy. He rather left household chores to someone else, especially since he considered himself as a guest in Juan's apartment. Although it might not have been much different if he had been the one living here. That however didn't change the fact that he was easily bored. Three episodes of Peaky Blinders managed to keep his attention, during the fourth he got bored. He however neither knew what else to do. Going into town, looking for a job? Juan had told him to kick him out if he didn't find a job within a week, but he doubted it was something he would really do. That was not him. He however was neither in the mood to fight, and for some reason, he didn't want to disappoint his friend. Maybe he could find something on the internet.

His laptop however was broken since that bitch had thrown it out of the window. He should go to her and demand a new one, but it was a one-hour drive and he didn't look forward to wasting more time on her. Maybe the thing could be fixed; there had to be some tech guy around in a university town like this. If he looked around to see if there were any job advertisements stuck to the window on his way to the repair service, he could at least tell Juan that he had looked around. At least he would have done something useful today.

Picking up his bag, he put the laptop in it and closed the door behind him. Using his phone he searched for the nearest computer repairman, then he started to walk towards the old town. Now everyone had received their new timetables, there were indeed some advertisements here and there; at least a shoe shop and a snack bar were looking for extra manpower. Neither of them sounded very compelling. Once again he thought back to Alex's offer. Should he do it anyway? He doubted she would give him a second chance, and he hated nothing more than crawling back to someone and apologize. But giving up a bit of his pride to do what he liked, was better than hovering over a frying pan all day long.

He however had no idea at what garage she was working at. Maybe Juan could figure out who Alex's little sister was, she could undoubtedly tell him the address. That was at least some kind of plan. That was enough for today.

"Did you look around for a job?" Juan asked later that day.

"I dropped my laptop at some dork to fix it."

"That's no answer to my question."

"Fuck — sometimes you really sound like my mom."

"Well someone has to."

"I came across nothing interesting," he replied, reaching over the table to drink from his beer. "I did look around, y'know. They were lookin' for personnel at a snack bar. And a shoe shop."

Juan smirked. "At least you'll see a lot of chicks at a shoe shop."

Emilio snorted. "Only faggots work at a shoe shop. Anyway, think I'ma talk to that Alex again."

Surprised, Juan raised his eyebrows. Emilio understood. After all, he wasn't someone who easily took back his words and he certainly never told someone else when he did so. Nevertheless, Emilio believed this was his best chance.

"Okay. Sounds like a plan."

"Yeah." A silence fell. "Gotta figure out where she works tho. She told me her lil sister lives somewhere in this building."

"Yeah, Jip. She lives at number 3." A smile crossed Juan's lips. "I already asked around a bit, in case you would change your mind."

"Oh, chill. I'll ask her soon."

"You could ask her now. That way, I won't need to remind you to go to her a hundred times."

Emilio hesitated.

"What?" Juan huffed. "You want me to hold your hand?"

Emilio cast him a dark glance which only made his friend chuckle, then he got up from the couch and left the room.