Chapter 18

Emilio and Rory had gone back inside. The other guys had gone to the girls, who were doing dares. Right now they were busy shoving condoms around bananas. Maddie was standing next to a blond girl, who stared at the condoms with wide eyes and a pale face. Rory raised his eyebrows in surprise as he recognized the girl. It was Grace, the minister's daughter! Since when did she live here? Her shocked face made him chuckle.

"I hope she's the same as she returns to you," Emilio smirked as he stood next to him. He nodded to Grace and Maddie. "Soon, she also signs up for the convent. One saint is more than enough. I always thought people like her got extinct centuries ago."

"People like her?" Rory repeated, frowning.

"Yeah you know, those Jesus freaks. Who go to hell when they wear bikinis. Who feel better than the rest of the world, judging everyone they meet."

"And you belong to that group too, since you're so judgy yourself?"

Emilio was startled by the fierce look in Rory's eyes. "No man. I think those believers are nothing but nags. And who believes in some old guy who's watching us from a cloud while we're ruining the world?" He chuckled, hoping to take the sudden tension away. "It's just fucking stupid."

Rory however couldn't laugh about it. "First you're ridiculing gay people and now Christians?"

He shrugged. "It's not like they hear it."

"I hear it! Did you even consider that I might be a Christian? You got a ridiculous idea of friendship, you know that?!"

Emilio stared at him. Was he joking? No, there was no teasing twinkle in his eyes. "I — I didn't know..."

"That's my point! You have no idea who you hurt with your words. It's not written on our foreheads if we're gay or Christian. And yes — Grace is strictly religious, but not all of us are. You judge people just as easily as she does, even though she has the decency to keep it to herself."

Emilio had no idea what to say. He felt like a complete idiot because he'd managed to hurt Rory two times in half an hour. But how could he have known? He played shooters. He had tattoos. He wanted to drive too fast on the highway. He was the opposite of someone like Grace."

"I already told you," he muttered. "I always fuck up friendships."

He turned around and went upstairs, where he sat down in a chair sighing, lighting a smoke. He was a fucking idiot. Rory was nice. He was social, he wasn't as rude as him, he was honest... He was so many things Emilio was not and he couldn't think of a reason why Rory would want to be friends with him.

. . .

Rory had gotten himself another beer. Emilio's words left a sour taste in his mouth he couldn't get rid of. He might have had overreacted, but it felt like Emilio hated everything about him. And he knew the boy hadn't wanted to hurt him, but he lacked any sensitivity. Yes — right now, he regretted what he'd said. However, if Rory hadn't cared about his words, he wouldn't have given a shit if he had hurt other people.

When Emilio hadn't returned after 20 minutes, he heaved a sigh and went upstairs. Emilio was sitting on the edge of the roof terrace and stared forward. Rory studied him from a small distance. He looked lonely and Rory's heart softened. What went on inside that head? Why had he such a strong opinion about everything? Why did he hurt others so easily? If he was so rude to other people — how would he treat himself? Did he hate himself? Did he act like a jerk because he was too scared to let someone in?

Rory was convinced there was a reason for his behavior. He crossed the terrace and sat down next to him. Emilio peeked aside before looking forward again.