Chapter 11

Rory closed the door of the student residence behind him and stepped into the cold night air. Mickey and he hadn't had plans for today, so they decided to binge-watch a season of Breaking Bad. Two weeks had passed since he met the boy. Three days after the bar fight, he had gone to the gym where they had made a training schedule. They got along very well. Since he lost all of his friends 18 months ago he was careful with making new ones. He wasn't that naive anymore — especially not when history repeated with Patrick. Maddie was the only one with whom he was really close; he could tell her everything. He also had some other guys he hung out with, but sometimes he missed the close friendship he used to have with Jonathan. Or, that he thought to have...

It was close to midnight. The building wasn't located on a crowded street, although there were small groups of students here and there. Rory walked closer to the bike shed. Before he reached it, he passed a Harley. He whistled. He had always loved these things, although he'd never been really close to them. His fingers glided across the cold steel and across the leather seat. How would it feel to ride such a beauty? He was tempted to mount it, but he respected the unknown owner too much to sit on his property. He however did pull his phone out of his pocket and snapped a few pictures. Maybe he could figure out how expensive this thing was, and how many years it would take before he had the money to buy one. His hand rested upon the seat, excitement crackling underneath his fingers. Would Mickey know the owner? How fucking awesome would it be to go for a ride, even if he was only on the back of it?

. . .

Emilio was craving a smoke. He wasn't in the mood to go to the crowded roof terrace, so he went outside through the front door. Things were still weird between Juan and him. His friend knew that something was going on, but Emilio didn't dare to tell him anything. Especially not because Mateo would leave prison within two weeks. What if he admitted the things they'd done, would Juan remember how Emilio had moaned his brother's name? His stomach cramped up. He hated the fact that he had barely seen Mateo the past two and a half year, but it would be pretty fucked up if his friend didn't want to see him at all anymore because of his disgusting fantasies, and he doubted Juan was able to keep a secret like that. Mateo always saw right through him.

With his hand, he shielded his cigarette from the wind, then he strolled up and down the pavement in front of the building. From the corner of his eye, he saw someone standing next to his bike. His jaw clenched as he realized that some kid was laying his filthy hands on his Harley. Squaring his shoulders, he stomped towards the vehicle.

"You have some nerve, huh, laying your filthy hands on someone else's bike?"

The kid turned around and looked up at him. Emilio expected to see fear on his face, but he was wrong. Very wrong. The boy looked him right in the eye.

"I always thought bikers were cool guys."

He had taken the boy for a thirteen-year-old kid, but now he'd turned around, he realized that the boy was much older. Think, blond hair fell in waves down the sides of his face, stopping a few inches above his shoulders. Now he looked a little better, he saw tattoos on his forearms and his leg.

Emilio didn't really know how to answer that comment, so he just shrugged.

"You have it for a long time?"

There was curiosity in the boy's eyes. Emilio let out a puff of smoke. He had never talked about his bike with a stranger, but there was no denying that it felt good to see that the boy was impressed.

Emilio leaned against the wall. "Bought 'm two years ago."

"How much?"

"Twelve."