Chapter 38

Although Rory could think of funnier things to do than writing an essay, he had put it off for so long that he had no choice but to sacrifice his Sunday afternoon to it. In front of the apartment complex where the party had been held yesterday—and where his bike was still parked—he said goodbye to Adam.

They hugged and gave each other a brief kiss. Guilt prickled in his stomach as he suddenly thought back to how he had given Emilio a kiss yesterday. Did he have to tell Adam about it? He had just been very tired, otherwise, it never would have happened.

"So, I'll see you at Ichthus on Tuesday, right?"

Adam nodded and held him a little tighter as if he didn't want to say goodbye. "I actually wanted to ask you something.... um..." He got a blush on his cheeks, and as always it sent tingles through Rory. "I'd like to introduce you to my family. Next weekend. Or um... Or do you think that's too soon?"

"Oh..." It came a little unexpectedly. Since he had no contact with his own family, it hadn't even crossed his mind to introduce his boyfriend to them, but Adam came from a normal family. The prospect made him a little nervous. He didn't mind waiting another month or two, but he could see that it was very important to Adam. "Yeah, that would be nice," he said quickly. "Just let me know when."

"I'll ask them." Adam leaned forward and gave him another kiss, then sighed softly and let go of him.

Rory saw the uncertain look in his eyes and stroked the back of his fingers along his cheek. "Last night may not have gone according to plan, but I'm looking forward to Tuesday."

"Me, too." The smile returned to Adam's face.

Rory leaned forward for another kiss and then got on his bike.

At home, Maddie was already sitting at the kitchen table waiting for him. "Is everything okay between Adam and you?"

"Yeah... I think so." He sighed, not quite sure how Maddie would react to the news. "Mateo gave him an XTC pill."

"What, against his will?" Maddie anwered in desbelief.

"No," he muttered. "Mateo—a friend of Emilio—is angry because I don't want to give Emilio a second chance, and he said stupid things to Adam and me all night. When I was singing a song with Emilio, Adam felt insecure and that asshole gave him a pill so he would be 'a little less boring.'" Now that he was talking about it, anger flared up inside him again.

"Wow. What an ass. I'm sorry I didn't help you yesterday."

Rory shrugged. "I'm glad Emilio was there..." He bit his lip. "He said it would be better if we don't see each other for the time being," he said disappointedly. Yes—it was probably for the best. For Adam. For their relationship. But it still caused a hollow feeling inside his chest.

"That's wise of him." Madelief rubbed the back of her head. "Do you want it too?"

Rory batted his eyes, feeling embarrassed. "I tried to kiss him last night. On Adam's couch." He didn't dare to look at her. "I was exhausted and —" He swallowed the rest of the sentence. There were no excuses for what he had done.

"Oh Roor..." Madelief shook his head. "If your feelings for Emilio are still so strong... Are you really doing the right thing by having a relationship with someone else?"

"I was tired, I was sad, I was confused..." He heaved a deep sigh. "It never should have happened and luckily he pushed me away." He bit his lip. "I really like Adam, Mads. Every day, my feelings for him grow. They may not be as intense as my feelings for Emilio have been since the beginning... But I really believe they will be."

"Okay." She smiled. "That's big of him, to distance himself. Now you can give your relationship with Adam a fair chance, and hopefully, those strong feelings for Emilio will weaken. And if they don't.... well, then you'll know enough, too."