CHAPTER 34

"Stop whining, would you, " I hissed again to Massimo who had a scowl on his face as we drove to the narrowed road leading to his lake lodge in Como. Truth to his word Ella and Luca dropped their son Leonard in the mansion later that day. Leo was the spitting image of Luca with his aristocratic facial structure, brown chestnut hair, and striking blue eyes, only blind couldn't tell that they were flesh and blood. The only thing he inherited from Ella was her pale skin.

Massimo only made a tsk sound. If Leo's head wasn't on my lap I would have kicked his seat or smacked his head. He was whining and acting like a child only because I didn't sit shotgun. "Hey, are you queasy?" I asked, softly as Leo stirred and sat up, he looked sick.

He shook his head. "Aren't we there yet?" He enquired weary and tired stained in his voice.

"No, not yet. Why don't you lie back down and rest, I'll wake you up when we get there, " He didn't answer and just did what I'd asked him to. I ran my fingers through his hair. Ella informed us that Leo has motion sickness and I felt bad for him. Shortly after they dropped him off we drove the road to Como. His body hadn't recovered yet from their drive to the mansion.

I sighed, as the forest finally opened up before us, giving way to the beautiful two-story timber lodge with a large patio situated next to the lake surrounded by trees. The calmed water mirrored the orange hue skyline. The whole place was tranquil.

Massimo pulled up in front of the lodge. I lightly patted Leo's shoulder, "Hey, we're here." He sat up slowly, rubbing his eyes. "Come, " I said, taking hold of his hand and got out of the car. I breathed in the fresh forest air. The late October wind looming northern Italy. It was humid, but not snow cold. Perhaps we could still walk around the area.

Massimo grabbed our luggage from the trunk and carried it into the lodge. I was in awe by the beauty of the lodge. The interior was a rustic style that gave a warm and cozy vibe. A darker shade of brown and whitewashed tone of neutral colors was the dominating color. The ornaments were hand-crafted and made of wood, leather, and natural fibers. The furniture items were sturdy structure, mostly made of dark stained timber matched with leather upholstery, looking somewhat classic. An extravagant stone fireplace dominated the center of the living area. Huge floor to ceiling windows allowed the sun to penetrate the big rooms.

"Rest a bit Leo, " I said as I directed him to the couch. "I'll see what I can do for dinner," When I swiveled Massimo was nowhere to be found, he's probably taken our bags to the bedroom upstairs.

I stood in the open stocked fridge, potatoes, and pork in hand wondering why it was stocked. I jerked, hands curled around my hips. "I told the caretaker to stock it, " Massimo's minty breath fanned my ear, bumps blotched my body. I nodded. He chuckled.

My gaze darted towards Leo, who luckily was still sleeping on the couch. Massimo noticed it and took off his hold and stepped back while grumbling incoherent words. I moved over the counter before assembling the ingredients. "I hope you like Filipino food."

Massimo leaned against the fridge, arms crossed over his chest, "I love everything you make." Heat flared my cheeks, Massimo saw it as his lips twitched. I gave him an indignant look, before flitting my gaze at the countertop.

He moved towards me, one arm wrapped around my waist and the other cupped my cheek. "It's the truth, Red, " Massimo whispered and kissed my forehead. My heart leaped in bliss.

During dinner thankfully, Leo felt much better and couldn't keep his mouth shut. This kid was like a firecracker no wonder Massimo told me he was very much like his father. He also somewhat reminded me of Noah. I missed that kid so much.