10: R U I N

C H A P T E R T E N

Watching my cousin's eyes bright up when she sees Owen, pains me. If only she heard the things that I heard from the party. Will she notice that he doesn't truly love her?

He only leads himself towards, to tease her. Not only that, but he threaten me that day. Should I be afraid or not?

That's the thing, I don't want to be the victim of his rule. I should be careful, these people are way powerful than me.

I have to play my cards right with them, and I have a feeling they are a part of the Elite Sinners. And I don't know anything about that group, except for the story--a story for kids-- my aunt told me.

There were many things I should do while being in this town. I can be free, do something that was beyond my reach before. It was the perfect timing to do all that...but now it's all drained down.

In a town where I was sucked in with a group of friends, friends that were a part of something, could it be a society?

"So what's going on in your head?" Vivian questions me, putting her arm around mines.

I shrugged my shoulders, "I'm not sure." I whisper as she walks me to my art class.

I would have expected to be accustomed to this, it's my second week. Yet, I'm still timid to my surroundings.

"You can be honest with me, I'm your friend." She says, stopping so she can be in front of me.

I was hesitant as to what my next words were going to be, what am I suppose to say? I let out a sigh, "I think I overheard something."

She looks at me questioningly, eyebrows raised, "And what is that?"

I look around the hallways, it was filled with so many people. I felt that we needed privacy, and I knew the perfect place. Art class can wait, I'm sure we are finishing the Da Vinci documentary.

I lead her to the bathroom, the one I'm always at when things were stressing me out. Such as my first day here and the giggling girl with her interesting tales.

I push open the door, bringing Vivian into the bathroom. I look around the room just to be sure no one is here, especially that girl. When I felt safe, I lead her further into the room.

"What is going on?" She frantically asks.

"Vivian, what is the Elite Sinners?"

Her face was blanked, "I'm not sure what you're talking about."

I turn around, "All of you guys deny it, sooner or later I will figure it out."

She bites her lip, "You are going to lead yourself into a dead-end."

I whisper, "I overhead a conversation from Owen and Esther at the party." I look down at my black flats and up to face her, "Owen kissed my cousin and I heard Esther talking about reputation being ruined, why is that?"

Her dark brown eyes looked me up and down, "You shouldn't be overhearing their conversations."

"And why is that?"

"They are the--"

A girl interrupts us, "I don't know how she can fail me, I will let my father know about this!"

I watch as Vivian leaves the room and off to her class. She was so close to saying something, something that can relate to what I'm learning. I check the time, seeing that I still have time to go to my class. Though I don't want to go, I don't feel like dealing with Victor.