7: S H O P P I N G

C H A P T E R  S E V E N

Through the week my eyes were watching everyone. Watching how people treat them. My cousin walked with me as we get to my class. I notice that people moved away as we make our way through.

I even asked Brielle what she knew about the Elite Sinners.

"Brielle, what's the Elite Sinners?" I ask her while we ate dinner, Aunt Celeste wasn't home so we were all alone.

Her whole face went blank, "I'm not sure what you're talking about." She whispers, her eyes looking at mines.

I shake my head frantically, "I don't believe that. Don't you see how everyone acts around you and your friends?"

She glares at me and I was surprised with her, "Drop it, Irene." She hisses under her breath.

I was in my art class, watching Brielle walk away. I was desperate to go to art class. I've been persisting Makayla to speak more about it. She told me nothing, but to drop the whole situation.

When I walked into my art class, I was stunned to see Makayla wasn't here. I take a seat by myself, feeling like I'm back to day one. I picked around the skin from my thumb.

"Sitting alone, Rhodes." I heard a deep voice speak.

I snap my head up and see the familiar face, "What do you want, Victor?"

He takes a seat in front of me, and shrugs his shoulder, "I decided to switch my class to art."

My whole body felt rigid. I didn't want to feel the presence of Victor. I didn't want to be anywhere near him. "You could have changed it into a literature class," I suggested to him.

His mouth twitch, "I was, but my father insisted on something else. My dear sister told me how you were in an art class. So I decided to join you since you know, you're all alone."

I was curious as to why his father didn't let him take a literature class, so I asked him.

He clenches his jaw, "Does it matter?"

I notice the strained look in his eyes. It was like he was tired of something. Something that I couldn't pinpoint.

I frown, "I guess it doesn't matter."

We both paid attention to our art teacher. She decided we watched a documentary about Leonard Da Vinci.

But my eyes were looking at Victor. The way his posture was slumped, eyes were looking tired. There must be something bothering him.

I get close to him, "Are you all right?" I asked him.

His face twisted with annoyance, "Jeez Irene, can you stop it. You win, alright. Just stop trying to pity, it makes you look pathetic!"

I felt a pang hit my chest and I tried to mask it like it was nothing. The game we were playing was over. It felt like I lost the game and he was the winner.

The inside of me felt sad, but I couldn't show weakness. He saw me as the winner, that's what I wanted all along. Though I don't like the way it ended.