Chapter Seventeen: A Bit of "Love, Hate" Maybe?

Alex’s POV

“You not a much better navigator than I am!” I scolded Liam as we stood at a fork in the path and Liam stared at his iPhone, trying to figure out which path to take to get out of this place. We had been wondering by ourselves for the past hour and a half and it was now 2 in the afternoon and being that it’s the end of winter, it still gets dark pretty early.

“Well I’ve gotten us closer to an exit!” he protested. I rolled my eyes and looked over his shoulder at the little map he had pulled up on his phone.

“According to this we’re still lost in a sea of green.” I said, referencing the green patch representing the park.

“Well you know it was your idea to come out here in the first place.” He narrowed his eyes at me. Here we go again. We hadn’t stopped bickering since we had gotten lost, and I was getting tired and my ankle, was still hurting a lot. It probably would have been fine in the first place if it wasn’t for those dicks that attacked me the other week. When I fell it started to act up again and having to walk after an impatient Liam isn’t helping it at all.

“Oh my God Liam, not again. We would all be having fun right now if we were still with the others.” I said rolling my eyes.

“Yeah, well we aren’t with them. We’re lost by ourselves.” He stated the obvious.

“No shit Sherlock. And I’m trying to help us get out of here, but it’s kind of hard when you won’t listen to what I have to say.” I pointed out.

“Well what in the world do you have to say that’s going to help us right now?” he asked and ran a hand over his head. I bit my lip, trying to keep calm.

“How about we stop and take a break so we can calm down and maybe map out a way out of here, okay?” I asked him.

“We’re losing day light, we shouldn’t take a break.” He growled before looking at his phone again and choosing a path to take. I bet he just picked any one, not caring where it led us, only trying to be defiant. I let out an irritated grumbled before hurrying after him, wincing with every step I took. Why was he walking so fast?

“Will you slow down God dammit?” I called after him.

“No you keep up.” He said, not looking over his shoulder. Why do I even bother? I sighed before jogging up to him, ignoring the shooting pain in my leg. This went on for another freaking forty five minutes, me falling behind, and then running back up to him, and then falling behind again. After each sprint to catch up with him, my ankle would be even weaker and I’d fall behind faster than the last time. I felt tears in my eyes at the pain and frustration. Why wouldn’t he just slow down?

“Please wait!” I called, now about forty feet behind him. I couldn’t sprint to catch up with him. I was in too much pain. He turned around and stared at me, looking irritated.

“Why can’t you keep up?!” he yelled back. I took a deep breath before pushing myself into another sprint to catch up with him as he turned around and started to walk away again.

Fuck my ankle.

Fuck this park.

Fuck him.

Fuck. My. Life.

I was almost caught up to him when I stepped on a rock that slid out from underneath my feet, sending me crashing to the ground. I yelled out in pain as I banged my knee on the way down and my ankle once again rolled in a funny way. I didn’t even try to get back up this time. I just laid there in pain, embarrassed, and too frustrated to care. Let him go off on his own. I’d find my way out by myself eventually.