Chapter Nine: What... Just Happened?

Alex’s POV

I winced in pain as Liam and Jules helped me into the back seat of my Mom’s car.

“Are you alright?” Jules asked in a worried tone. I bit my lip to keep myself from saying something I regretted. I was in pain and pissed off. I didn’t want to snap at her.

“Not really. I just want to get home.” I said through clenched teeth.

“I’m really sorry they did this to you. I should have gone right in after the rush of kids past.” Liam said with a guilty look. He actually felt bad for this? It wasn’t his fault.

“Liam, it’s not your fault. Thanks for coming when you did though.” I said, my tone softening. Jules shot me a curious look that I shook off.

“Don’t worry about it… I just wished I could have done more.” He said looking at me through the rearview mirror as we pulled out of the parking lot of my school. He sounded so… regretful and scared. It was weird. This was the man who hated me on a daily basis. Despite the pain in my body I felt warmth in my chest. It felt good to be cared about. Even if it took me getting the living daylights beaten out of me, it made me feel happy.

Maybe that beating was worth it…

“So why was it you that came anyway? I thought Zayn was coming.” Jules asked. Confusion settled over me as I realized she was right. First of all, Liam still would be acting like a dick if he didn’t know I had gotten attacked and Zayn told me he was coming to get me today.

“All the other lads were sleeping. I think the time difference finally caught up to them.” Liam said.

“Five days later?” I questioned.

“I guess… I don’t know. We all already know that they’re strange people.” He let out a chuckle. “Either way, I knew that you needed a ride home and I didn’t want to even attempt to wake Zayn up, so I just came. I wish I would have come faster though.” He said his sarcastic voice draining into regret again. Jules and I made brief eye contact. He was acting strange. I mean, not strange for him, I know he is like this normally, but around me, as we all know, he is different. I gave a small shrug, telling her I wasn’t going to argue this. I could get used to it.

Don’t let it get to your head. Last time you thought he was getting better he made a complete u-turn and it didn’t last.

I leaned my head against the car window and winced in pain. Damn they can pack quite a punch… and kick… and everything else that’s violent. It wasn’t much longer until we pulled up to my house.

I went to move and get out, but Liam was immediately at my door. “Don’t hurt yourself, I’ll help you.” He rushed. I looked at him taken aback. I saw worry and guilt in his beautiful brown eyes that seemed to shift to something more hidden.

“You alright?” Jules asked suspiciously when she came to find us staring at each other. I looked away quickly, feeling my cheeks grow warm.