Chapter Sixteen: Adventure Time

Zayn’s POV

I woke up to a muffled screech. I opened my eyes groggily and rolled over in the bed trying to ignore it. It must have just been my imagination. What could be screeching this early in the morning?

“No!” I made out the word that rang through my ear drums. I shot up and looked around the room wildly. Niall and Lou were still sound asleep and Liam was missing from where he had crashed on the couch last night. Harry sat up beside me and looked at me confused.

“Did you hear that?” Harry asked groggily.

“Yeah…” I mumbled confused.

“Come back!” the voice shouted again. Now I could tell that it was Alex. She was screaming. My heart rate increased as I started to panic.

“Alex!” I told Harry, before jumping up and stumbling out of the room, Harry hot on my heels as I made my way down the hallway. I nearly collided with Liam as he walked out of the bathroom and into my path.

“Woah, what’s wrong with you mate?” Liam asked as I skidded to a halt, causing Harry to run into me. I clenched my fists a bit.

“Something’s wrong with Alex. Where the hell are you going?” I asked, noticing he was dressed and ready for the day.

“To get Dani. What’s wrong with Alex?” He asked quietly, not meeting my gaze. He sounded concerned, even though he tried to hide it.

“What did I ever do to you?!” I heard another shout come from upstairs, causing me heart to beat faster. What the hell was happening?

“I don’t know. Now watch out.” I said and pushed him out of the way and running up the stairs, followed by Harry, leaving Liam staring after us, confused and frozen. He didn’t make the effort to come with us to see if she was okay even though I half expected him to do to the way he asked me what was happening. I guess I shouldn’t have given him so much credit. I had to remember that this wasn’t the Liam I knew. This was someone foreign to us.

“Alex?!” I called, out of breath as I ran into her room. She was squirming around under the covers of her bed. She was dreaming?!

“No, stop Li-” she started, but Harry spoke before she finished.

“Alex!!!” he yelled as I stood in front of her. Her eyes snapped open and she shot up letting out a blood curdling shriek. She looked around the room with wide eyes, panting as if she had just run a marathon. I saw tears in her eyes and sweat on her forehead. That must have been one hell of a dream.

“Jesus Alex, are you alright? You woke us up because you were screaming.” I said as she looked around in terror.

“S-Sorry… it was just… a b-bad dream.” She stuttered leaning back against her wall breathing heavily. I felt so bad. I sat down lightly next to her and rested my hand on her knee.

“Are you sure you’re alright? You were yelling in your sleep pretty loud if we heard you from all the way downstairs.” Harry asked slowly. She nodded hesitantly.

“What was it about?” I pressed. She shook her head quickly.

“N-Nothing.” She lied. I bit my lip. Before Harry had woken her up it sounded like she was going to say ‘Liam’.

She was having nightmares about him. Not only did he haunt her while she was awake, but he tortured her while she was asleep too. I tried my best not to march down the steps and knock him out.

I tried my best to get more information out of her, but she just shot me down, telling me to go downstairs while she got ready. I obeyed, but couldn’t help but let it get to me. She told me everything that went on in her life when I wasn’t here with her. I would think that she would have only gotten closer to me during our stay, but instead it seems that she is shutting me out to everything.