Chapter Two: Best Friends

Alex’s POV

“Mom! Jules is coming over!” I yelled.

“I thought the boys were coming?” she responded. I read my text I had just received.

“They are; they’re here!” I told her and headed towards the front door.

“So all seven of you in one house?!” my mother shrieked. I rolled my eyes.

“Yes!” I said and walked outside before she could say anything else. I hadn’t seen them in forever.

“Alex!” I heard Zayn’s voice. I smiled widely and ran as fast as I could towards him, tackling him into a hug.

“I’ve missed you all!” I said.

“We missed you too.” Zayn chuckled. I released him and moved on to Niall, hugging him tightly, then Harry. I came up to Louis and paused, thinking of Maddi the minute I looked at him. He smiled lightly and wrapped me in a strong hug. I sighed and hugged him back. When he released me I turned to Liam. My heart immediately started to beat faster at the sight of him. I bit my lip and waved. He just looked up at me briefly and gave a small head nod, not attempting to hug me. I sighed. He was the whole reason we all knew each other, and he was the one who hated me the most. I didn’t even do anything wrong.

“I can’t believe it’s been a year.” I mumbled. A year without Maddi and almost a year of knowing these boys. They gave me a sad smile and nodded, patting my shoulder lightly. All of them except for Liam of course, who was wrapped up in something on his phone. He was probably texting Danielle. That’s all he ever did when they were with me. And it killed me.

It hurt so much to be in love with someone you’re not supposed to love. Liam had Danielle and he couldn’t stand me, and yet, I loved him. No one knew. No one needed to know.

“Is Jules coming?” Niall asked as we walked over and sat on my porch. I nodded.

“Yup.” I said, popping the ‘p’. They nodded.

“How long you all here for?” I asked.

“A month!” Zayn cheered. I smiled. A month out of their crazy lives to come spend with me. I smiled and started to think about what happened in the past year.

The worst thing of my life. I lost my best friend. No matter how many famous pop starts I met, I’d do anything to have her back. I’d give this all up. I missed her so much.

I had reached out to Liam. They showed up at my house because of this and when I asked why, they simply said, “support”. When they showed up that day we just talked… and I cried, but let’s not go there. By the end of the day I felt like I had known them forever. They told Jules and I they’d be back bright and early the next day to spend more time with us. I was so thankful; I finally had gotten Maddi off my mind for more than a few minutes at a time.