Chapter- 2

As soon as Jeff saw me, he ran to me with an almost teary face.

Jeff: " Mommy... Jo made fun of me with others. She called me an idiot."

Jo: "No! It was not me. Martin said that."

Jo defended herself. I hugged my crying baby.

Meera: "Oh..my baby, do not cry... You are such a lovely boy, and you know that. Is he your friend?" He shook his head.

Oh god, I should stop doing this head movement. Kids have started doing it. Stupid old habits! I thought in my mind.

Meera: "Does that mean yes, baby?"

Jeff: "No!!"

Meera: "That means he does not know anything about you. Then why do you have to bother about what he says? So be a bold boy, and do not worry about it. Ok?"

He nodded his head, and I turned to Jo.

Meera: "Jo, is this how you treat your brother? You both should support each other. Ok?"

She nodded her head while keeping her head down and said, "Sorry Jeffy.." and kissed his cheeks, and he kissed back.

Meera: "Also, you both should never bully anyone. Ok? Now you know it hurts, and if you do the same to someone else, they will also get hurt just like you. So never do that. ok?"

They both nodded with a bright smile. I hugged my sweethearts and kissed them both.

I thought of asking the details of what has happened after going home.

Meera: "Now come on. Let us go. They must be waiting for us."

We walked to the car and left to pick Jaidy, Jakey, and Jessi from their soccer and basketball practices.

Sometimes I feel bad that my kids have to attend all these arts and sports classes and not just rest at home after school. Their schedule is extremely busy with either swimming or soccer or piano class and even Carnatic music classes. I never thought they would have an interest in it. Also, Jessi had learned Bharatnatyam in between, but then she stopped taking lessons and started focusing on basketball. Though they say they are happy in doing all these, and I have never once forced them to do anything, I still have this guilt feeling that they are doing all these because of my unavailability.

Being part of two races is also not easy for them. I try my best to incorporate both cultures in them. The initial days of my motherhood were a disaster. I was trying to bring them up as complete Americans. After various counseling sessions, I realized that I do not need to focus on any culture. I should raise them like how I do with my kids. But even then, I never want them to be alien to their culture. So I try my best to provide them exposure to both cultures. Though we have struggled a lot, I am proud of my kids that they have passed through all those difficult times, and now we have fallen on the right track. There could be many difficulties to face, and I am sure we will get through it together. I do not want to pressurize them with any expectation. So I have given them the freedom to choose whatever they want to do from both cultures.

Sometimes I feel like if Chris and Susan were here, my kids would have had a much happier life. They would have been part of a complete family and would not have to go through the confusion and troubles due to these cultural differences and an immature Mother.

It still hurts when I think about that day.