Chapter - 16

5 years back

"Please Meera... Please don't do this to me. I beg you... Give me some time at least to convince them. Please?" Vivek was asking me for a chance. But I know it is not going to work. His mom had called me earlier, requesting to make him understand that this won't work.

Over the past months, we started loving each other. But I know he cannot go against his parents and I don't want him to!

Meera: I'm sorry Vivek... Things are already complicated for me. I cannot take more pressure. Please understand.

Vivek: Ok. Then what if we don't tell him now? Let us get married and you can go back and be with kids and I will try to relocate. I will accept them. Later even when our families come to know, we'll have our kids and they would be forced to accept it and...

Meera: "and then what Vivek?? Are you even listening to what you are saying?? Please Vivek... I know it is difficult. But we are not the first couple who got engaged but are not destined to be together. We are used to each other now. Everything will change with time. You will move on! So please try to understand and accept it.

Vivek: "Ohh.. that's it? Is it so easy for you?? Am I not important in your life? I never pictured you as one among those girls who utilize men and throw away once they get a better life..." He chuckled " So.. you cannot handle the pressure and you are throwing away what we have?? Ok... You know what?? I don't give a damn!!! Yes!!! Let's break up!!! You live happily with your kids... Goodbye!!!!" He hung up the call. I know he had said it all in his fury. But this conversation has been going on and on for the last few weeks and I can't take it anymore.

He believes in his conservative thoughts, though he agrees to whatever I say, he does the same to his parents too!! He won't be able to handle it and won't be able to support me too. That much I know about him. He cares about his loved ones a lot and would never do anything to hurt them. So it is better this way than making it complicated in the future.

But... It hurts... a lot...

"Mumma... Mumma..." I felt like someone was shaking me. I opened my eyes to see Jaidy looking at me worriedly.

"What happened Mumma?? Are you alright??? Why are you crying???" He asked and I touched my cheek to find it wet! I didn't realize that I was crying!!!

"Ohh..nothing darling... Might have seen some bad dream... Why are you not asleep yet ?? What were you doing?" I asked him wiping my face and sat up on the bed.

"I was worried about you Mumma. I came to check on you... Are you worried about going to your home Mumma? You looked disturbed the whole day!" He asked me.

"Nothing darling... Come here.." I extended my arms and he sat beside me and hugged me.

"I didn't know my kids have grown up so much!!!" I tried to change the subject but he glared at me.

"Ok. I'm good my dear. It is just... I'm worried about you all... Will you all be OK with it and all.."

I told him... Though that was not the exact reason at the moment, it is also a reason for my worries..so I was not lying to him.

"Don't worry Mumma... we will be OK... Stop worrying about us... We are not small kids...even Jo and Jeff are not that small. We will manage. So don't worry. Ok?" He told me with a smile and I nodded and smiled back. We wished good night to each other and he was about to leave the room when he asked about my extended family. They have seen only my parents, Sachi, his parents, Keerthi, and my grandma.

"Tomorrow....now you go and sleep. it's late. no..." The chorus from the other end didn't let me finish!!

"Please Mumma.. we are not sleepy.. we are too excited that we can't sleep. Please..pleaseee..."

Standing there at the door were Jessi and Jaiky. They were probably hiding behind the door.

Jo and Jeff are already asleep...

"Shush!!!!" I gestured to him to be quiet. I don't want the younger ones to wake up too.

"And why none of you are asleep yet?? What were you three doing???" I asked them skeptically.

"We were making a list of things to do when we go there with Sachi Uncle..." Jessi said.

Oh!! so they were on call with Sachi at this time. That fool!!! I should warn him not to make late-night calls with kids!!!

I glared at them and all three made a pouting face!!! These monsters!!! They always know how to get things done from me!!!!

I stepped down and they turned on all the lights in my room and jumped onto my bed and got comfortable to meet 'their' family members, who might never accept them...

There were few photo albums with my all of them, which my mom used to give me whenever she visits so that I wouldn't miss them. Though she says they all met and took those photos, some of them I doubt are from social media uploads...Anyway, I appreciate her gesture. How much ever they hate me, I still love them all... ok at least most of them!!!

We started going through them, and it was so confusing for them... So I drew a family tree for them!!!!

Later we chit-chatted for a while and they all slept with me, with Jessi on my right side and Jaiky on my left, hugging me, and Jaidy on Jessi's right. Jaidy started tickling her and Jaiky too joined them and it went on for a while until I scolded them to sleep... And after a long time, we all slept together. Jo and Jeff should have joined, but the bed is not big enough!! But they would be sad if they come to know about this.. so I made these three promise me that they wouldn't tell them. They love teasing the little ones a lot!!!